1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a new mower

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Linz, May 9, 2017.

1. Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    A sit on would be too big for my needs. I'd love one though just for some fun on it :)

Sorry should have said I'm after an electric push type.. think I'm set on the b&d edge max it's a good price and not too big. Still open to suggestions :)

2. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    2.4 is really light weight, the Stihl batts I went for are 6Ah and you get about 40 to 50 mins on a dry well kept lawn.
    With battery technology getting better the prices are falling slowly or the batts are being replaced with a upgraded one.
    Some full commercial mower machines run for 2 hours on a single battery and others require 2 batts to get around the same. I would say 5 years from now cordless will be well within reach for most people's budgets.
    What does matter is how the power is handled so some machines are more efficient and will adjust the power on the fly so that you achieve a good run time.
    The big difference between the Viking and my old Bosch is that the Viking has a better deck and grass box design and the blades help to lift the grass where the Bosch would just cut.
    you also find the Viking will fill the box right up without coughing up grass and it handles wet grass better as the air movement under the deck and box are well designed.
    Would I go fully cordless?, no not yet. The last quote for a mower with 6 hour run time was £3000 on batts without the machine and charger which was an Etesia. Could knock it down a bit with the Bosch commercial one as they do a power pack that allows charging on the go but I know the Etesia would run circles around the Bosch. The out lay is just too much at the moment.
    The Etesia battery is 21Ah which is nice :)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,414
      I will be looking for a lawnmower soon. I will probably ask for one as a Christmas present. I was hoping there would be a sale on sometime between now and then.

G.

• Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
      Ratings:
      +6,224
      Wilko had them reduced not so long ago.

I ended up buying the edge max. It doesn't cut as close as the old flymo thing but I suppose my grass (clover) is looking better for it. I could have done with the 34 not the 32. And if the grass is a bit wet - forget it, it refuses to pick up.. still cuts though. Am I pleased? Meh. When the time comes for a new one I may consider a Bosch.

• Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
      +5,414
      The last mower I had was a petrol driven Honda (I think). I had a heart attack 3 years ago and was told not to use the lawnmower. Since then we have had somebody come to mow the lawn and tidy up the borders. The mower was not being used and taking up space so we let it go. Next spring, once I get all my beds how I want them, I would like to start my own gardening.

G.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Has the doctor OK'd you to mow now . How big will your lawn be when you have finished the new layout ? I used a Bosch for 10 years , now got a Black n Decker which is good.
        B and Q have their own make 32cm at £39 , it gets good reviews for a small lawn .

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
          +5,414
          Hi @HarryS. My lawn is only about 15ft square. Nothing really.

G.

• Like Like x 1
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            I use a Bosch cordless mower and have done for 12 years or so.
            I mow twice a week, once every 2 or 3 weeks over winter (grass keeps growing down here!) and cut a front 150 sq yard front lawn and a smaller back lawn. The battery charge is enough for two cuts. I have had to change the battery just once in that time. The mower is powerful, quiet and lightweight. No petrol. No electric cables. :)

• Like Like x 2
            • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
              Ratings:
              +6,224
              There's me and Harry using cm/m, Jack using feet and Verdun using yards... :rolleyespink: :scratch: :doh:Haha!

I'm quite used to chucking the lead behind me or stepping over as I mow these days.. I had a rechargeable Dyson and never charged it so I've gone back to one with a plug.. the same would happen with a rechargable mower :biggrin:

Jack, make sure it's ok'd with the Dr or at least go easy!

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
              At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
              Ratings:
              +49,478
              I've got a Bosch Rotak, and it is a cracking mower - not too expensive either, and significantly better than the Flymo that it replaced.

• Like Like x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,548
                I've also been looking at mowers today. I came across a McCulloch petrol mower but know nothing about them apart from they have a Briggs and Stratton motor. Anyone had experience of these please?

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                Ratings:
                +49,478
                Yes - many moons ago admittedly but I am sure that the experience still stands. Briggs and Stratton are probably the most reliable engine after a Honda, and the McCulloch kit I have used in the past was decent kit; I would imagine that the professionals might turn their nose up a bit, and compare them with a Honda or a Stihl, but then there is a massive difference in price! McCulloch have been on the go a lot of years now, and have a fairly good reputation as far as I know, so not a lot to fear. I do like a Briggs and Stratton engine too - tough as old boots.

• Like Like x 1
                • Informative Informative x 1
                • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,259
                  You might be able to find some good deals on the Viking mowers. Briggs powered but Viking tend to use a plastic grass box construction and not cloth.
                  The advantage is cloth is a devil when cutting damp grass as it clogs up and so the air flow is restricted and lowers the performance where as a plastic is dead easy to clean.
                  I hate cleaning my hayter box, where with my Etesia a quick brush and away you go.
                  Honda and Briggs all make some great engines, some better than others and Kawasaki do a few good ones all be it a bit more back bone and if I remember correctly they did do one with an oil pump but it was a few years back when I looked at one.
                  I replaced my old Bosch battery one which went pop last year with a Viking battery version and it's much better, the finish looks good, light and longer running time if you go for the larger batts.
                  Have to say the way things are going in a few years time as battery prices come down due to the increase in production and designs improve we should see more on the market for better prices.
                  No more oil, petrol, servicing, low noise, and low vibration.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                    +17,487
                    Linz, I lean towards metric measurements usually. I guess I have always known the lawn as 150 sq yards :)
                    Because I always do things hastily I have cut the cable on hedgetrimers and mowers so many times. So cordlesss for me is the way to go.
                    My mower is powerful but easily as light as a handpush mower :)

• Like Like x 1
                    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +16,246
                      Hi @Jack Sparrow , for a lawn that size and presuming you don't want to spend megabucks . I would look at the 32cm cut width own brand lightweight lawnmowers at B &Q , Argos etc . A small hover Flymo type would be ok as well. I have a Flymo at the caravan and it works fine , although Flymo ain't cheap. Some of the smaller mowers have plastic cutting blades , not a great fan of these I would prefer a metal blade.

• Agree Agree x 1
                        Last edited: Sep 15, 2017