1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a new mower

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Linz, May 9, 2017.

1. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,509
    Most of the mowers I get have Kawasaki engines on, they always outlast any mower I had with a Briggs on. Don't have much Honda gear, honda engine on the Hayter condor and I think that it.
    Got two Etesia , pro 51 which is the best mower for picking up wet grass, but it fairy weighty and the cutting heights I am not to fond off. Got an oldish now Pro 56 I call it the Beast 9hp kawasaki, weighs a ton and the parts are starting to fade out now. Wouldn't mind a smaller Etesia mower.

I still like the two old JD I've got though JX85 / SX14 I use them all the time, they don't like wet grass though. Both Kawasaki engines

Used to have a Sabo before they change to JD. I didnt like them though but my dad loved it and got two of them. felt like I was turn a bus the handle were so long, think it had a 6.5 briggs engine on so could whip some grass down, the assisted fan could really pack a grass bag that full it was a hard to get back out. The two sabo died though, started burning oil and the drive was a pain the neck always lagging / slow to come in drive. He got a john deere C52 after that, it got a 2 stroke engine on cant remember what it is exactly but it rubbish ( engine ) it in the shed and never gets used.

Hayter got bought out by Toro a while back now, Have a hayter 21 heavy duty its a good mower, picks wet grass up 6.5 hp kawasaki. It just a Toro painted up green.

Dont use mowers with rollers on ( except cylinder mower ) they not very good on slopes which there is plenty here. I use a Allet Kensington 20k for my own lawn.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      Under Toro Hayter went through a lean manufacturing exercise, ie cut backs when lean manufacturing is mentioned.
      The Etesia 46 is poly body which is why it’s lighter compared to the 51 but the kawi engine on the 46 comes in at a nice 52kg compared to 36kg with Honda engine. Once you step up in diameter the weight piles on.
      Those JD handles are awful, just shows how poor the designers are when they don’t think about how balanced it feels.
      I looked at the Etesia battery version and it’s nice but my word batts are 1k each. Bosch do a 2 batt pro mower not that it’s goung to be great but it’s a start in the right direction.
      The self propelled Etesia batt machines have no belts either so less hassle.
      I think I worked it out to go batt would be just over 4K which is madness but I’m hoping as battery tech improves and production ramps up we will see better prices. I’ve a little Viking batt machine and it’s ok, not got the guts of a petrol but it’s great for small or jobs that have slope work to a degree. No servicing, oil, petrol, low vibes, low noise and more profit.
      The future will be battery but I think I’ll be retired by them

• Like Like x 2
      • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        @ Liz the pot I do like your comments above.

If I put on my Engineers hat, the one thing that always comes to mind is how much all forms of mechanised garden equipment could be improved if only the companies that manufactured them actually had design engineers that used them regularly in the conditions that they are used for in reality. From your comments, it seems that Etesia are the exception that proves the rule. Even so, I would expect that they have points on which they can be improved. Noise levels for example.

• Like Like x 3
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,610
          Sorry, I've not replied before now @Sandy Ground. :doh:I'm still busy getting my place straight.

The Husqie probably was shipped dry but when I picked it up it had been through a service and is ready to use. I was also given a run through by the supplier on it's various functions. At this point I can't fault their service. :thumbsup: I'm yet to use it as the weather is still wild here, but I'll report back after it's initial mowing. :)

Thanks @Perki, let's hope it lives up to it's good reports so far. :)

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,610
          The Husqie had it's first outing today, a stressful one. :doh:With the back lawn being six inches high and slightly damp I knew it wasn't going to be easy mowing and that proved to be right, the lawn is absolutely choked with moss. It's approximately 50 x 40ft with the addition of mowing down the sides of my house too. It took me four hours with a strong wind blowing, so I wasn't happy. However I can't fault it's performance. On easy pull-cord starting the engine (Briggs and Stratton) burst into life with a good throb and sounded solid and ready for business. I had to stop and empty the grass box every 15 to 20ft but each time it started again without a problem. I'd have given up on my previous mower (a Hayter) within half an hour, it hated starting from hot and played up every time.

I'm glad I decided against buying a Honda, they weigh so much now I wouldn't have been able to manoeuvre it on the parts of the garden that slope away. The Husqie is much lighter and easier to handle. Fuel consumption was good too with little topping up during the course of those hours. Over all I'm really pleased with it, especially in the difficult conditions it had to cope with. :dbgrtmb: The only slight drawback is there are a lot of nooks and crannies underneath when it comes to cleaning up.

• Like Like x 2
          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +49,617
            Glad you are happy with it @Sheal - slightly sad, but I remain a bit of a Husqvarna fanboy, despite not owning anything from them for over 20 years.

As for B&S, I harbour a desire to get myself one of their stationary engines to restore, mount on a trailer, to start and run just for fun (look at that, I am a poet, and I didn't know it!)

• Like Like x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,610
              You're still a little boy at heart @Fat Controller, :) but there again most men are. A poet too! :biggrin:

I forgot to add these to my post. Just look at the state of the lawn! Some hard work coming up next Spring methinks. :) There's also dips and potholes under that moss. :doh:

IMG_3331.JPG

IMG_3334.JPG

• Like Like x 2
              • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                Ratings:
                +5,368
                @Fat Controller I've got a far nicer engine waiting to be restored than a B&S. From 1938, 25hp and already on a trailer. :smile:

@Sheal Its nice to know that you are pleased with your new mower. A couple of years ago, Husky had a hose attachment on the deck to aid cleaning those nooks and crannies. It was dropped as it never became popular. Looking forward to seeing your progress on the lawn in Spring.

• Like Like x 1
                • Informative Informative x 1
                  Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
                • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                  Ratings:
                  +49,617
                  Oooohhh, tell more @Sandy Ground! Lister? Petter?

If I had tons of money, and tons of space, I would love to have a Class 37 loco as a garden feature, just to hear that lovely noise once in a while......

@Sheal - looks like you have got yourself a project!

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                    Ratings:
                    +5,368
                    @Fat Controller neither. Its a 1938 Beijers Hot Bulb engine. Interesting technically because that year was the first one they used SKF bearings, and it works on the two stroke principle. As can be seen from the first two photos, its a barn find, and as can be seen in the second, the clutch is missing. Its not mine, but belongs to a relly. I'll just be heavily involved with the resto. Something I am really looking forward to!

IMG_3881.JPG

IMG_3882.JPG

IMG_3883.JPG

• Like Like x 2
                    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                      Ratings:
                      +49,617
                      Ooooh, we need a thread to track the progress of that one!

• Like Like x 1
                      • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                        Ratings:
                        +5,368
                        It should make a cracking ride on mower! :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 2
                        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                          Ratings:
                          +49,617
                          I think it might be a tad large for @Sheal to push around her new garden though?

Seriously, please take loads of photos and have a thread where we can follow your progress - I love seeing old machinery and tools being restored. Have you seen Hand Tool Rescue channel on YouTube? Utterly brilliant!

• Funny Funny x 1
                          • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                            Ratings:
                            +5,368
                            The first big job with it will be to find and possibly restore the clutch. That is needed to start it. After that it will be removing the head and making sure everything is not seized with standing. I will start a thread when the time comes.

There is some machinery for it to drive also.

• Like Like x 1
                            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +52,610
                              I could have done with that yesterday when I was cleaning up with a brush. It would certainly be easier. :)

Yep, I'll add it to the mental list I've started. Somehow I don't think I'll be growing anything next year. :doh::)

It probably isn't much heavier than a Honda FC. :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 1