1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice on where to start with my yard.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pariah, Jun 20, 2010.

1. pariah

pariah Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

I'm tasked with the job of turning my terrible looking back yard into something semi decent but the issue is I know nothing about gardening, lawns, weeds, soil etc. I used to have a decent little lawn but a bunch of builders ruined it when they did some work to my house.

I've uploaded a little movie to Youtube to show the awful condition its in. You can see its all lumps and humps, holes etc and lots of weeds. I think I may have to scrape the top layer off and put in better soil, but I don't know, or maybe I can get away with levelling it and reseeding it? I don't plan to put down turf although this might be an option if more knowledgeable people advise it.

Any ways, please have a look at my video and give me a few tips to start on. I would like this project to be done by the start of September :(

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF8l9Q9alS4"]YouTube- back yard[/nomedia]

thanks.

P.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi Pariah & [​IMG]. Hmm you have a job on your hands there maybe.. I think if it were me I would strim all the grass short & see exactly what I was left with.. You might find you can re-seed areas, but really until you have to cut down as it is hard to tell how much grass or dead patches you actually have there.. Well that is my way of thinking to start with anyway.. :thumb:

3. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    I agree with Marley. Once you've got the grass down you can see where the hollows are, then you came bring the level up with good quality topsoil then seed on top of it, gently raking it in. Dont forget to water every day until the grass is established. As it's a fairly small area it shouldn't be too arduous.:thumb:

Chris

4. pariah

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm I wasn't expecting people to say that lol. Seems pretty simple. Would you recommend I Rotavate it and spray a weed killer first?

5. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: Well I think you would be silly to do that yet Pariah I would just do as Boghopper & I have said first, as this is not really the best of times to be ripping it out if you don't need to..!! :scratch:

6. pariah

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys! I told you I know nothing. I was under the impression that rotovating it would just make it easier to flatten. Right..time to cut the grass down.

7. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumb: That's the spirit..!! Take a pic after & we will look again, but really it has to be the first step to see what you really have got..:thumb:

8. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I think you're looking for problems Pariah. No need to start rotovating etc.
    Do as the others suggested - clean up that area and cut the grass, then you can see what you have. Leveling humps, bumps and getting rid of weeds in grass is easy.
    Tidy it up and come back with your pics if you need further suggestions.

9. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Err...

Have you considered moving?

(sorry!)