1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

need some plant suggestions please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dips, Mar 18, 2015.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    For shrubs:

Portuguese Laurel
    Elaeagnus x ebbingei or pungens maculata (which is variegated as you might want some colour in there)
    Viburnum Tinus
    Arbutus Unedo
    Syringa vulgaris Sensation

For a tree try Malus Royalty or Prunus Royal Burgundy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
      Ratings:
      +10,739
      If you want something a bit different for a small tree have a look at Golden Elm (ulmus wredei).

Another good crab apple is Malus 'Red Sentinel' and if you decide on a Sumach it's worth considering Rhus typhina laciniata. It has an interesting, attractive leaf form and also has great autumn colour.

If you're looking for a slightly larger shrub, try Cotoneaster lacteus. A good one for year round interest; evergreen, with large white flowers in spring and red berries which often stay on the plant right through the winter, carried on arching branches. It can get large, but can be kept within bounds if you make sure it's pruned every year.

• Like Like x 1
      • westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
        Ratings:
        +598
        That's the one I have, I also have a light underneath it so that the shape is accentuated at night.

• Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,631
        Thank you everyone. i think you have sorted me out for module two as well as i need 5 trees and 5 shrubs for that too. i should be sorted. i need to get on googling and getting these plant info pages done. Thank you again

Aww ta Jane i was chuffed with it but its not gone down that well on instagram, Catkins obviously arent as appealing as flowers