1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Nemaslug advice pease

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by ThePlantAssassin, Sep 12, 2020.

1. ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    I have just had some manure mulch dug into my soil but have quite a few slugs about. I read that a product called Nemaslug can be used until October and if used as autumn approaches it will stop slugs laying eggs that will become slugs next spring. Is this true or just a marketing ploy? Sounds too good to be true. Id rather have something harmless to water in than use the unsightly bright blue pellets that leave dead slimey bodies laying around. Would love to hear peoples opinions and experiences. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,289
      Haven't used the nematodes, but an interesting topic. I thought that slugs were more likely to attack stressed/struggling plants and this link seems to confirm it. I'm also very curious about how effective marjoram and English lavender are as deterrent companion plants, considering how butterfly-friendly both are. :smile: Would be fascinating to hear from someone who has tried the "Slug Gone" pellets mentioned in the first link!

Perfect plants for - Beating Slugs - Stone Cross Garden Centre

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitax-3-5L-Natural-Barrier-Pellets/dp/B00AFSKZBQ

The worst slug problem I've ever had was a load of annual wallflowers which got completely decimated overnight, couldn't believe it. They never touch my perennial wallflowers!

Nick

• ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
      Ratings:
      +1,016
      @Nikolaos
      Thank you for the links. Stone Cross Garden Centre is a couple of miles away from me. I did look at the wool pellets but thought they wouldn't look very nice and also have tried other barrier methods to no avail. The slugs blew raspberries at me as they happily slid over the copper tape I put round my potted Clematis!! They merrily dance across my slate chippings practically doing the Tango as if try to get on to Strictly Come Dancing. I tried beer traps but they just had an illegal rave and although a couple of them threw up their guts most of them just got rat arsed. Wish Id just drunk the booze myself! I took away their boom box just to annoy them!

Seriously though I HATE HATE HATE them and I will try just about anything to protect my Delphiniums next spring.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,204
        Hi,

Not used NemaSlug, but just a quick look at the product it states -

"Nemaslug is particularly effective in wet conditions, when slugs are at their worst and pellets are at their least effective. Nemaslug will kill snails, and many retailers sell it for that purpose, however Nemaslug is not generally an effective snail treatment due to the snail lifecycle."

Seems the Nematodes can only live in the soil , generally where the Slugs are, but Snails more often live on the surface of the soil and other things , so far less likely to come in contact with the Nematodes.

Expect they are having a birthday with all the new manure you have added.

If pellets are out, try putting something like a piece of slate over some bricks so they have a place to go and hide during the day, but is easy for you to lift up and dispose of them.
        Using empty Orange halves etc can also be used in a similar way, partic for the little slugs,

Having a small pond or sunken tub that attracts frogs etc will also help reduce small slugs but you need other creatures to tackle large snails.

Evening patrol with a torch is a well proven method, if the neighbours stop laughing :biggrin:
        (no point thowing them next door etc :whistle:, seems Snails do have a homing method)

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1