1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Never-never plant-care & maintenance-please help!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by plasticine-porter!, Nov 17, 2009.

1. plasticine-porter!

plasticine-porter! Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone;

Earlier this year, my mother was given a potted Never-Never Plant, by a close relative. (CTENANTHE OPPENHEIMIANA TRICOLOR BAMBURANTA)

Over the last couple of days it has begun to appear rather listless - One stem in particular, is listing so badly, that its leaf is now virtually touching the floor.

Though its other stems are not yet, as badly affected, it sadly appears to be only a matter of time before they too, suffer a similar fate.

My mother, now over 80, is very fond of the plant, and most anxious that it should be nursed back to health. - But as none of the family (including mum) are particularly green fingered, we haven't a clue as to cause, effect, or remedy - and would appreciate a little help.

What might we be doing wrong?

How can we put it right?

Would it be wise to severely prune the affected stem immediately?

It is currently situated in a large bathroom and doesn't appear to be harbouring any bugs.

I don't have a digital camera, at the moment, so can't post a photo... sorry.

I would also appreciate some advice on feeding and watering -i.e. how often? and what on? -I haven't been able to find any definative advice on the subject, and am beginning to wonder whether this may be a contributing factor to the problem.

I know it will be more difficult without a photo but any advice at all would be gratefully appreciated.

Sincerely,

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    PP - sorry you have not had a reply to your question. Its not that we are unfriendly or ignoring you. I think it is just that there is no one who knows this plant well and feels they have enough authority to give advice.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer myself. I had to Google the plant as the name meant nothing to me, but I did recognise the pictures as one that I have seen on occasions.

The only suggestion I can say, is that it could be too little or too much water. 9 times out of 10 it is too much water. Obviously if the compost is very dry the plant is suffering from too little water and will droop. But at this time of year, when light levels are low and temperatures are low, many plants from warmer climes essentially stop growing. And if they aren't growing they don't need water. So, if the compost feels very soggy, it could be that you are still watering it when it doesn't need it.

Assuming this is the case, you need to reduce the watering to a minimum, but you also need to get rid of some of the water that is already in the pot otherwise it could start to rot the roots. I would do this by taking it out of its pot, and putting it in a somewhat warmer and brighter place. The extra heat and light should prompt it to be a bit more active and consequently consume a bit more water. And by taking it out of its pot you could help the compost dry out.

There is another aspect that you may not be aware of. If a plant is overwatered, the leaves droop because the plant is actually short of water. It sounds funny but if a plant is overwatered the roots can start to rot and then they are unable to supply enough moisture to the plant. Roots need oxygen - and moist compost holds not only water but also pockets of air, which supply this oxygen. If the plant gets overwatered the air pockets get filled with water, starving the roots of oxygen. And without oxygen the roots can die. So taking it out of its pot could allow the compost to dry out, but also allow some oxygen to get to the roots.

Overwatering is probably responsible for 9 out of every 10 house plant deaths. If its not overwatering - I am afraid I cannot help. :D And my suggestions are general for any plant rather than for yours in particular.

Give it little water and no fertiliser over the winter when it is not actively growing. But when it gets warmer and lighter and active growth resumes you can increase the water and possibly give it a bit of baby bio or some such feed once a month or so.

3. plasticine-porter!

plasticine-porter! Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Peter;

Will bare that in mind.

Much obliged.

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015