1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New Business Idea-Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Andy_5, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Andy_5

Andy_5 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,
    I was hoping for some comment on my business idea.
    Its called Surprise Seeds,
    People buy a Surprise Seed Online, its basically a plant pot that has a mystery plant sown in it.
    The seeds range from Small Pirennials to Vegetables like Lettuce and even herbs.

I have sold around 50 to friends they are finding them great presents for friends. In particular elderly and infirm friends, As it keeps their mind occupied, as they watch the plant develop and grow.
    Which has given me great satisfaction as it is having social benefits.

Tell me what you think?

Andy

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,185
    Hello and welcome to GC Andy :)

If it's a surprise how would the person receiving it know how to treat it? I mean if it's a hardy vegetable that's not going to like being indoors or if it's a tender houseplant what if the person stuck the pot outside?

3. Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Volunteer at Cats Protection
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Welcome Andy :) interesting idea you've got :)

4. Andy_5

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi John and Ellen!
    What i should of added further is part of the packaging, there would be instructions as to where best to keep the plant. All the plant would be ideally aimed at keeping indoors,so you dont need a garden. Is there any websites that i could sell the plants online at?Like a green fingers ebay?

• Like Like x 1
    • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
      "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
      Ratings:
      +4,445
      Ebay sell plants already, thinking on if you want to sell them on line already sown how are you going to ship them, a pot of compost with seeds mixed in would be quite fragile in the mail/courier service :oopss:, if you send them as growing seedlings even worse, :oops:.

We can all testify I am sure to having purchased plants on line that have got damaged in transit. :gaah:

• Andy_5

Ratings:
      +1
      Yeah i have designed the card board packaging so it holds the compost and seed in, It works very well i can hold it upsidedown without falling out.