1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New Herbaceous Border

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by TMAK, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    Hi @Perki What are the tall blue flowers on the first close up picture. Locally I have seen camassia cusickii. I believe they will look something like that. I thought I might be able to mix a few into my allium purple sensations. Would that work?

G.

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,497
      Re paths:- I don't think you really need to run a path through the bed unless you want to make a feature of it. If so, you could have thin path snaking from one end to another.

In our wider beds we just have the occasional stepping stone and find that enough.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        I’m not one for paths in borders....planned and arranged well there shouldn’t be a need for them. They spoil the flow of the borders Besides, they take up space where more plants could be.
        :)

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Like Like x 2
        • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +8,509
          You are right the tallish sky blue plant in the second picture is a Camassia , Camassia Heavenly Blue to be exact I believe its a cross between Cusickii and Leichtlinii, nice plants which like slightly damp soil but don't flower long. Allium Purple sensation does work well with it for a week if that , the camassia starts going over just as the alliums are getting to peak condition .
          The allium next to it I think is Gladiator due to its lilac colour, its a lot shorter than its supposed to be probably a casualty of me digging it up :doh:
          DSC00010 (3).JPG

• Like Like x 3
          • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
            +3,718
            @Perki have an idea I saw this on garderners world, do blue tits sometimes pollinate it?

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +8,509
            I didn't know blue / great tits pollinate Crown I Fritillaria, I've personally never seen a bird near them but in their native habitat it seems birds can pollinate them, you learn something new everyday :blue thumb:

• Nerine

Nerine Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +17
            Hi TMAK, your new bed looks beautifully prepared! I'm just thinking about the new hedge...wondering what conifers you have used please? It's a bit hard to tell on the pics, but looks like Lleylandii? If so, they will need to be kept fairly well controlled to avoid the hedge quickly taking up space from the new bed....and just as important, taking moisture and nutrients from the new planting.

Whatever the hedge is, have you thought about allowing a 'service' space along the back of your bed to allow access to trim the hedge? i'e. Don't plant right up to the hedge or getting along the back to cut the hedge will be a pain.

If you want a 2 metre wide planting , it would make sense to allow an extra half metre for hedge access left unplanted.

I look forward to seeing photos of your finished border :)

• Like Like x 3
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
              Ratings:
              +217
              9BF8FEF6-6CAE-46DB-B422-5CB44118BE1A.jpeg 9BF8FEF6-6CAE-46DB-B422-5CB44118BE1A.jpeg E58BF7CB-7B2C-4C39-BC7B-36A1F7B8010C.jpeg Just a quick update on the border so far. I have been planting a lot in it over the last few weeks. Most are divisions I took last autumn and the result of a greenhouse full of cuttings and seeds grown this year and last year. I’m afraid I am not the bed at keeping track of specific names so it’s going to be a surprise this year. If anything doesn’t look right it can be moved next year. There is always room for a new project!!!

• Like Like x 2
              • TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
                Ratings:
                +217
                9B64AE2B-839C-4B98-9EE7-24D6E16C0CF9.jpeg 9B64AE2B-839C-4B98-9EE7-24D6E16C0CF9.jpeg 87971E3E-EA97-4755-8F18-6BBC9A34D993.jpeg 3CB7F034-3FAE-422A-8C94-6CE39F0A6B8A.jpeg 3EDFD618-E556-4CC4-ACDC-36881F33BB31.jpeg C2FDFFB8-BA0F-4414-91D4-5A95A3C777DF.jpeg 21BD7DE7-0B59-4673-832E-9FEDFC42ABA8.jpeg Just another quick update. It’s filling in nicely now.

• Like Like x 8
                • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                  Ratings:
                  +6,097
                  Great pics, thanks for sharing. As perhaps I have mentioned before. A well kept lawn certainly sets off a garden.
                  I tend to think similar to Verdun. Is a pathway in a herbaceous border really needed. I admit, at times I have a moan about getting my trousers caught up on roses, but usually selective planning and planting can provide for some foot-space if needed.

If I may, with respect perhaps offer a bit of advice. Herbaceous borders backed by a high wall and fronted by a pathway, such as can be seen in stately gardens etc are IMO one thing. However, where the border, regardless of depth is fronted by a lawn. I, and this is just my take. Rather than to have a straight edge to the lawn, that enables one to look along the line and see all. The odd curve here and there makes such a difference. As with gardens in general. The plants are the stars, the actors. Let's be perhaps a little more creative. I wonder what's the other side of that large plant etc?

As I say. In now way do I wish to offend anyone. Great gardens and great work. Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
                  • TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
                    Ratings:
                    +217
                    1BAAABDD-99DA-4A06-BBF3-4514B587BF3A.jpeg BD5BF02F-0AD9-42ED-9C8A-62E4F0206A7C.jpeg 4248646D-52E9-4C00-A51E-B643ADA87C96.jpeg 982EC6FA-0582-4F66-9F47-9397B88849D0.jpeg EB6AE225-C4F6-43F6-8759-7ED03087B487.jpeg FF830CB6-34E3-4293-85AC-3D31B9D381DE.jpeg AD9BDA78-F221-4287-8B42-E743F6AC16A4.jpeg Hi @Mike Allen thank you for your comments and advice. Much appreciated.
                    My lawn is getting there slowly. This was an overgrown bog land 3 years ago so after a lot of work it’s green. It’s by no means perfect and full of clover and Daisy’s but it’s green and when mowed looks half decent.
                    I do agree with the ideas of curves it makes a big difference. I have done it in most of the garden at this stage. I’ll pop a few pics up.
                    This border will more than likely end up curved in the next year. I did it straight to start with to get some plants in and see what works.

Excuse the pots thrown around I was planting out seedlings when I took the photos.

Thanks again for the advice it’s always welcome and great to get a fresh pair of eyes

• Like Like x 3