1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New to composting-fresh manure help!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by geriali, Jun 28, 2013.

1. geriali

geriali Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    We just had delivered 10 bags of fresh horse manure from the local farm and its sitting outside the front garden for now. Bit of an impulse buy, £2.50 a bag (is that cheap or expensive)? beginner gardener here;)
    Was thinking of buying a compost bin, is it advisable for composting horse manure with other bits and pieces to put on the garden or should we just leave it to rot down by itself. In the meantime, the bags are open so thinking about bugs and all sorts flying around too! Many thanks in advance

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    Not too bad considering it was delivered. Around us you can get it for free from stables, but you have to go and pick it up yourself.

It would be better to put it into a container of some sort to properly rot down, if you can add layers of grass clippings or other green stuff all the better.

3. geriali

Ratings:
    +4
  4. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Wow that`s posh, most of us just nail some free palettes together.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      A lot depends on the bedding used. If it was straw then best to leave it until you can't tell it was straw if that makes sense, about 6 months if the weather is warm and manure wet .If horses bedded on shavings the rotting down process will take a little longer/paper quickest. I have horses and use horse manure extensively in my garden for obvious reasons! I lay the droppings on the surface of the soil as a mulch and let the worms do the hard work. If it just droppings you can put them straight onto beds as long as the droppings don't touch the stems of plants. Picture 001.jpg
      The photo is of a bed which has had at least 4 inches of manure spread on it for the last 6 odd years. It's hard work but the structure of the soil improves no end and plants thrive.
      Most stables are happy for you to collect your own for nothing. Agree £2.50 delivered doesn't sound too bad but to have any real affect you do need huge quantities so might be better to borrow/hire a trailer and get it yourself in the future....a good job for those cold winter days!!!

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,193
        That bin seems a bargain too. I suppose being grazed on non-fertilized grass would appeal on organic grounds, but I can't see it making much practical difference. Now if she had said no chemical weedkillers applied that would be better.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • geriali

Ratings:
          +4
          You are all a mine of great information, thank you so much! Now......to get my hubby building a crate when he always says he's got a million and one things to do first!:dunno:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          You might want to check if your local council is subsidising compost bins, they tend to do that periodically. Although it will probably only be for black "Dalek" type bins, rather than nice wooden ones :)

If you compost all your garden rubbish then adding fresh manure will act as an "accelerator" and dramatically increase the temperature of the heap - which is the best type of compotsing method.

Or you can just make a pile of manure-only and let that rot down for 6 months (more is fine) and then use it.

If you put "manure bedding" on the flower beds "fresh" two things will happen. It will use up Nitrogen in the rotting-down process, which in effect it will steal from the soil (and Nitrogen is what makes plants grow) and secondly if it comes into contact with the stems / roots of plants the Ammonia in the bedding will "burn" the stems - which will kill small plants, and may well set-back even large plants.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,997
            When our daughter used to help out/ride at a fairly local stables we'd fill the car with bags of horse poo after dropping her off, then fill it again whilst waiting to take her back home. As it's a fairly large MPV we could fit about 30 bags (maybe more on the first and slightly less on the return) in on each trip, which would have been 3,000 bags p.a., but obviously when it was raining or the poo heap was frozen we took less/nothing, although we also loaded up loads of dumpy bags of used stable straw for mulching, but we gathered about 2,000 bags p.a.

That was before the riding establishment moved, plus our daughter's GCSE, then A Level commitments reduced the amount of visits, but 2,ooo bags @ £2.50 would have been £5,000, meaning we made a massive profit on what it cost for her riding lessons.

If you can bag/load/transport the horse poo yourself you should be able to get it for free as stables have to pay to get their poo piles removed. Your Local Authority will have a list of registered riding establishments on their website - check them out.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            I was visiting friends the other day and they keep offering me bags of manure (Mr M wouldn't hump it to the car and I haven't had bags with me when I've visited :doh:) but, it's on my agenda.

Now, consider this: they are telling me to grab it and add it to my garden (*this* thread has given me all the info I need to run with that idea), in the meantime, they are bemoaning the conditions of their own soil :scratch:

Erm, why aren't you harvesting the manure yourself, to enrich your own soil!!!???

Gotta love that "dropped on" look :heehee: