1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie question - why so many seeds?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by noidea, Apr 17, 2009.

1. noidea

noidea Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :o

Okay very newbie question here lol

Why are there so many seeds in a packet e.g. I have brought some veggie seed packets and they each have about 500 seeds in them, one even has about 1050! I know some of them won't germinate, but I don't want to feed the whole nation :scratch:

2. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,953
    :) Hi Noidea.......
    Don't knock it you are lucky lol.
    No seriously you need a lot of carrot,onion etc. to make a decent row of veg.mostly smaller seed, or it is useful to sow a sucession so they don't all come at once.
    They are much more stingy with the bigger seed though.

There is one seed company that charges per seed.......that might suit you better,not such good value though.

3. Abi

Abi Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Its so you can join the gardeners corner pass the parcel seed packet exchange.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Its an excellent question. Would you like 450 of my lettuce seeds? I think the remaining 50 lettuces will be ample for my family for as long as the seed stays viable!

There again, I bought some Melon Bastion, supposedly the best flavoured Melon on the planet!, and I got 6 seeds for £5.25 ... I think they saw me coming!

Here's an idea. Buy 500 seeds for a quid or two. Decide you need, say, 50 lettuces. Grow all the seed and prick out into pots, and then sell them for £1 each. I reckon you will get 90% germination, so your 50 lettuces will be "for free" and you'll turn a handsome little profit too.

I'm now off to write an eBook with lots of LARGE FONTS and Colourful Lettering that you will be able to buy on eBay for modest-bucks shortly!

5. noidea

Ratings:
    +0
    That is an idea Kristen ! It just seems a bit of a waste, maybe their is a business opportunity in starting said seed syndicate or even just a seed swap...... :), or starting a company just selling lettuces lol

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Most seeds packets will keep for a couple of years, maybe more, in a sealed Tupperware box in the fridge.

Parsnip seed germinates better when fresh (and maybe some others that the good folk here will remind me).

Even so, 500 lettuces divided by even FIVE YEARS is still way too many :)

7. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
  8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I think it is for successional sowing and to allow for failures to germinate.

PS great idea about joining the seed swap or seed bank thread-both do very well and everyone is happy with what they can get.

9. noidea

Ratings:
    +0
    oh whereabouts is that thread then ??

10. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
  11. noidea

Ratings:
    +0
  12. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    No problem, , when it gets to you you will be blown away by what is in there, and in general you will find that the people on this forum are extremely generous.