1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

No flowers on strawberry plants made from runners?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Freedom_Spark, May 9, 2010.

1. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Hi everyone, I've noticed that my original strawberry plants that I purchased while they were flowering last year have started to flower again, whereas the plants I made from runners are still flowerless. Any ideas what the problem might be? It looks like I'm going to have to buy more plants when I thought I was getting lots for free:(

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: Hi Freedom, I don't think there is anything thing wrong with them, mine do the same I think, they are just naturally behind the parent plants as they are younger plants I think anyway... :wink:

3. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    That's reassuring, I thought I did something wrong when rooting them, it was my first attempt. Hopefully I'll get some flowers on them yet, thanks for the reply Marley.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumb: Yes you should get flowers & some fruit this year no problem, the fruit may be a bit smaller as younger plants, but juicy fruits...!!! :gnthb: :yho:

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I was under the impression that as runners they are the same genetic age as their parent plant-not sure though, mahybe I am confusing it with cuttings. They will catch up either way.

6. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    I have potted runners from last year, hardly a flower to be seen..whereas the parent plants have many. I read up about them last year and apparently the first plant on a strawberry runner should fruit the following summer, whereas the next plant along the runner (second plant from Parent) may fruit. I didn't have space to keep all of the runners so only kept the very first plants from each runner and gave the rest away.

Steve...:)

7. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I transplanted ours from the raised bed to their new home, "Recycleberry Towers", two surplus 90L plastic dustbins. I can`t tell which are last years runners but there`s no shortage of flowers.