Not. One. Seed. Give up?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Flat1

Flat1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +59
    I had trouble germinating seeds on a windowsill before the growing season in the past.
    So I decide to build a germination cupboard.

It recives heat from the radiator below via warm air pulled in by a small computer fan and because i used fire proof insulation material to build it. It definitely gets and stays warm even when it is snowing outside.

I made it quite large to fit this perticuler light
    But
    You can make yours in a kitchen cupboard or even a large well ventilated box by using a smaller led board

The led light can be used to warm up the chamber
    Infact its much larger then it actually needs to be.

This year i started my plants in late January

I use a modern 250w "high efficiency" LED light turned down to 120w.(that is the minium amount of energy for germination and the seedling stage with this perticuler modle of LED light. I bought it 2 years ago for less then £230.

⚠️ Caution ⚠️
    LED LIGHTS PRODUCE
    HIGH LEVELS of UV-A RADIATION
    ⚠️DAMAGES EYESIGHT FOREVER ⚠️
    ⚠️ UV-A and UV-B CAN DAMAGE THE SKIN ON YOUR HANDS⚠️

So only work on the plants when the LED lights are switched off or use uv protective eye wear and gloves as well as long sleeves.

It is worth the investment and effort to guarantee and optimize germination and seedling establishment.

I have a lot of plants because I sell them online.
    That way it pays for itself !
    Last year ths cupboard produced over £4k in revenue
    This year im at almost £2k so far and I started selling late april!
    . Screenshot_20210512-010841_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210512-010831_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210512-010826_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210512-010817_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210512-010732_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210512-005023_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210512-004550_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210512-004641_Gallery.jpg

I didnt allways use the space as efficiently as you see in the photo. And even now there is much more room for improvement

Also I have upgraded it to accommodate a bespoke Ebb and flow flood table.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: May 12, 2021