old tyres

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by MrsMacGyver, Jul 18, 2005.

1. MrsMacGyver

MrsMacGyver Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello everyone! so, has anyone ever used old tyres stacked up as planters? Since moving house a few years ago, I really miss my roses and would like to grow some in containers, and as I have access to old tyres, wondered if they would work.

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes - subject to them being deep enough, and kept fed and watered. Tyres can be used in exactly the same way as other planter - but I'd line out the dead space between the rims or if you can turn them inside out.

3. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Mrs

I once uses old tyres to grow a good crop of potatoes. As they came up i added another tyre and soil to earth them up. It worked fine.

I havnt tried them as more permanent planters though but cant see why they would be a problem.

Cloudy

4. MrsMacGyver

MrsMacGyver Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice, I'm going to try this Autumn. My problem is that 6inches under part of my back garden its a quarry! Concrete, tarmac, bricks, paving slabs, old pipes - I could build a house with it all! So, as I'm way past the age for creative landscaping, I'm taking the easy way out and paving it.

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Let us know how they do eh!

[​IMG]