1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

old tyres

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by MrsMacGyver, Jul 18, 2005.

1. MrsMacGyver

MrsMacGyver Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello everyone! so, has anyone ever used old tyres stacked up as planters? Since moving house a few years ago, I really miss my roses and would like to grow some in containers, and as I have access to old tyres, wondered if they would work.

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes - subject to them being deep enough, and kept fed and watered. Tyres can be used in exactly the same way as other planter - but I'd line out the dead space between the rims or if you can turn them inside out.

3. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Mrs

I once uses old tyres to grow a good crop of potatoes. As they came up i added another tyre and soil to earth them up. It worked fine.

I havnt tried them as more permanent planters though but cant see why they would be a problem.

Cloudy

4. MrsMacGyver

MrsMacGyver Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice, I'm going to try this Autumn. My problem is that 6inches under part of my back garden its a quarry! Concrete, tarmac, bricks, paving slabs, old pipes - I could build a house with it all! So, as I'm way past the age for creative landscaping, I'm taking the easy way out and paving it.

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Let us know how they do eh!

[​IMG]

6. Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +299
    Good morning all,
    I had an electric light bulb moment in the early hours when cogitating on how to create the winter flowering border which has been on my to do list for the last 20 years. My garden soil is very shallow, thin, gritty, low nutrients etc., one spade deep before hitting compacted shale. I have never been able to afford a suitable edging and top soil to back fill the area I want to use, creating a large raised bed. Approximately 20 yds long along the bottom of a stone bank by 3 yards deep from front to back.
    I then remembered the tyres I used to grow veg. in and thought of using them stacked as individual "planters" for my shrubs. I would aim to stack at least 3 tyres.
    When I used them for veg. I stuffed the tyre rims with newspaper before filling the centres with compost and then planting. I found they needed a lot of watering but the main problem was ants nests. They love them. The soil got very warm during hot weather. It was good for carrots and dwarf beans but not much else thrived, I probably didn't feed enough.
    Now I am debating whether to risk trying to grow shrubs in the tyres, I had thought of spacing them to created a garden area where I could walk between the tyres, the level would be raised for easier weeding and the plants would have a decent depth of soil to root into.
    Has anyone used this idea for growing shrubs?
    The bed faces North but there is no shade from trees etc. Most of the shrubs I have mouldering in pots are evergreen winter flowering, scented which is why I love them.

7. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,513
    Could you cut the tyres in half and create a sort of 'wall' around the area you want to create, and then fill that with soil/compost? My thought there is that it would give you more of a bed and not restrict things to growing purely to the size of a wheel hole in a tyre. Should be easier to water too.

8. Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,273
    I know Bob Flowerdew used to recommend using old tyres in the garden, particularly for growing potatoes … but I understand that it’s now considered to be unwise due to possible contamination of the soil and plants with cadmium and lead.
    Just thought I’d mention that.

9. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,271
    I would say yes and no: depends who you ask: this link Is it safe to grow your own food inside tyres? says he wouldn't and presents a relatively balanced point of view although taking a diversion through Street Collected Leaves and Tyres and finally segueing into artificial football pictures. He does offer guide lines on what to do if you decide to go ahead.
    This link Tire Contaminants from a Container Gardening Perspective is a cautious yes to using: it presents some data from a literature search and explains why tests on tyres are different to garden conditions and then goes through a number of hazardous chemicals talking a bit about each one, before giving a similar set of suggestions for use to the first link; although here there is a suggestion to line the tyres to reduce soil contact.
    Would I use them probably, but I only have a total of 6 tyres in my possession at any one time, 5 in/on the car and one on the wheelbarrow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +299
      As I am a decrepit old wrinkly, of 83, with a heart condition, cutting tyres in half is a a bit beyond me now. They have weird metal wire stuff inside them which would need cutting. The cost of filling the area with soil would be prohibitive for me. A good idea, along the lines I had originally, non the less.
      As the shrubs are all decorative the problem of contamination does not arise as I will not be eating them. A thought to be thunked about though!
      I have about 9 or 12 tyres which I begged, borrowed and stole over a period of time. I asked at my garage but they now have to send their used tyres to an approved disposal site, not just burn them or dump them as in olden days.
      Thank you for your ideas.

• Like Like x 2
      • Grannybee

Grannybee Apprentice Gardener

Novice
        Ratings:
        +8
        I have grown lots of things in my tyre wall without much success. My last ditch attempt now is mini daffs and geranium rozanne. I am fed up with all the nurturing needed for more precious plants. I have been successful with blue toadflax and Mexican fleabane. Good luck!