1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Oleander - care after a hard winter?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by LazyMonkey, Mar 27, 2011.

1. LazyMonkey

LazyMonkey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    We have two oleander's in our garden, one in a pot and one in a border - both have been heavily affected by the hard winter frost and snow. Most of the foliage has turned brown and looks dead.

The potted plant has faired slightly better and there is some new growth appearing at the base of the plant.

Should I cut back all dead wood and foliage and hope that the plant may start to sprout. Obviously spring wouldn't be the ideal time and any flower growth will be lost this year, BUT can I save the plants?

I've noticed a lot of Oleanders locally that have also been affected by the cold and have turned brown.

In addition, the same has happened with two large bottle brush plants.

2. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    I have one of each in my front garden and they're both okay, infact they've not even shed a leaf over winter which i'm surprised at !

I'd hang on a bit and see if new growth starts to sprout when we start to get consistently warmer weather.
    As it's only the foliage that's brown i'd be hopeful.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    I think the single flowered ones tend to be slightly hardier than the doubles.
    I've never tried them outside myself other than a final chance for a plant too big to get inside, I've always lost them.
    It depends a lot on your area and the position you're growing them, I wouldn't try them seriously around my way unless against a south facing wall.
    Having said that I know of a couple of plants around here that seem to survive, but "survive" is all they do.
    The last couple of years they have been badly damaged and the new growth gets killed each winter,

I think you can cut back any obviously dead wood, and pray for a mild winter next year.

4. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    I would agree with Pete on all counts . I have a few plants which are potted in the greenhouse. But my larger ones I lost last year .They had been happy in cold greenhouse for many years. Will be bringing them in for a while to see how the winters go ...

Dave

5. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,839
    I have one out the front and it look pretty dead to me! Have pruned it right back and will just wait to see if it has survived or not...

6. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,839
    Quick update on my oleander - having pruned it I also moved it to the back of the back garden out of sight to forget about it. I had a look the other day and decided to pull it up and be done with it... and noticed the smallest of shoots appearing:)

I was convinced it was dead and rotting too so lucky escape for the plant!

7. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    Phew ! Very lucky indeed :D