1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

One year on....and beyond

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Sheal, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +18,193
    Congratulations on finishing a big job, the fence looks good and I'm glad cars won't be able to pull in to your drive any more, it's annoying when that happens.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
      Ratings:
      +5,368
      @Sheal Nice job on the fence. Good to see the traditional colour for that neck of the woods colour as well.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
        Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
      • Blue arbour

Blue arbour Gardener

Retired and loving it
        Ratings:
        +400
        You've done a great job there, @Sheal. The fencing and gate look really attractive and the postbox is a nice touch, too.
        I bet some of those car drivers got a bit of a shock when they realised they could no longer use your land as a passing space/ parking space :yay:.

• Like Like x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,614
          Thank you for the compliments everyone, they're much appreciated. :)

No ranch gates @shiney but we're still yet to get a name plate up.

So are we @Michael Hewett. We're yet to find out what happens when a 100 strong herd of cattle passes by. :doh:

Anything colourful would look very out of place here @Sandy Ground and I prefer traditional colours anyway. :) The colour is deep mahogany and matches the fascias and soffits on our bungalow.

I wish I could take the credit @Blue arbour but I only made the choice of fencing and layout decisions. The hard work was down to a local man who I refer to here on the thread as 'A'. He can lay his hand to anything diy and does any major work here for us.

It was very satisfying to watch their confusion when they realised one would have to back up to either of the passing places. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 5
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,614
            It's more than a year since I last posted so an update is due. :)

Having to take the best part of a year out due to an arm injury and various other issues taking me away from the garden, today I got back to work at the top end of the front garden.

The ground between the fence and pine trees was cleared of rocks by 'A' last year. Today I spent a couple of hours clearing the rough ground of cobble sized stones. In the process of digging and raking I've rebounded off another couple of large rocks that need to come out. I'm not strong enough to lift them on my own, so will need help with those. The ground is now clear (hopefully) and ready for digging over and levelling in preparation for grass seed next Spring.

The post is upright below, it's me not getting the camera angle right. :doh:

IMG_7348.JPG

IMG_7350.JPG

At last I have a slate house nameplate attached to the fence underneath the post box. And the fencing has been tested by a hundred plus herd of cattle including three huge bulls.

The new border bed I started has had little attention too and still needs to be brought out to it's eventual shape and size. Last October I planted four shrubs, two of which will be dug out as they are not what were ordered from suppliers.

195.JPG

This year there was a little colour added with herbaceous perennials I grew from seed. When I eventually finish extending it I'll add smaller shrubs and other perennials.

The occasional deer that pass through the garden have left all these alone thank goodness, which means I've struck lucky with the deer resistant plants chosen. Having said that, there was a herd in the area throughout this summer and unfortunately they've devoured a few other young shrubs in the garden that were supposed to be deer resistant. It's not only frustrating but proves expensive replacing them.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
            • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +18,193
              This is a nice idea for a thread, I haven't seen it before.
              I'm glad you were able at last, to do some work in your garden.
              You border will look good when it's finished, it will be interesting to see what you plant there.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
                Ratings:
                +50,943
                Gosh, where has this year gone to Sheal. You take care, but so pleased you have the cows and bulls to assist in security matters. :whistle:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                  Ratings:
                  +30,616
                  Lots of hard slugging there @Sheal but it sure is paying off nicely!

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +52,614
                    Thank you Michael, Victoria and Lori for your kind words. :)

Michael, it's only when I post that the thread comes back to the surface. :th scifD36:

I don't know where it's gone Victoria, but if I'm honest I'll be glad to see the back of the last eighteen months. It's been a difficult time for both myself and my family.

I'm getting there Lori! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                    • Like Like x 1