1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Operation 'Recover' has begun..........

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,577
    Yesterday and today, I got some of the best physiotherapy that there is - a bit of gardening! Yes, Mrs C did the bulk of the work and I was more of an assistant (nuisance) and advisor (nuisance), but it was time outside and time in the garden. The upside is that the recovery process for the garden has started - these photos were taken at the end of yesterdays session:

20180831_134642.png
    There was a cape fuchsia and a hydrangea (Strong Annabelle) hiding under a huge load of brambles in this bit of border - - the cape fuchsia itself had gotten right out of hand (again) and to be honest I think it is going to have to go permanently now as has turned into a green thug with few flowers. I am sad to say that my hydrangea was suffocated :sad: and is a complete loss - blank canvass for next year.

20180831_134653.png Closer view of the same border, and the greenhouse - a buddleia had grown out of the patio at the back corner of the greenhouse, and was huge! A couple of bits of it can still be seen, as we couldn't quite reach them yet; I will get the blighter one way or another though. We still need to deal with the blackberries in front of the greenhouse - again, I think the time has come for these to go, as we have had them a few years now and had no more than a few berries off them.

20180831_134702.png The grass is in a hell of a state, so that will have to be scarified, mulched, reseeded and generally pampered next year. The two heaps of branches etc were cleared today - we dug the shredder out and got shredding, filling the compost bins in the process. When they overflowed, we chucked the shreddings directly onto the borders, as there is nothing growing there at the moment and looking at the soil it is screaming for organic material -- I am reckoning that it will rot some through autumn, and we will be able to fork it into the soil next spring.

20180831_134621.png
    This will be the next area to tackle - overgrown loganberry, interlaced with blackberries. They must be self seeders, as they are at the opposite end of the gardne to where we planted the blackberries. Popping up out of the lawn are suckers from the plum tree next door. The lavatera to the left was as dead as a doornail until last year, and now look at it!

20180831_134607.png
    This is to the right of the loganberry - you can just see our dalek composters peeking out fron behind the foliage! I think, in the fullness of time, the left of the three evergreens needs to go - it is looking awful at the bottom, and is squished inbetween its neighbour and a lilac tree; my worry is what the side of the middle tree will look like if/when we cut it down.

20180831_134714.png The laurel to the left (which lives to the right of the three evergreens pictured above is in need of a good haircut too. Out of sight is a red leaved fellow (can't remember the name) that I got at shineyland last year - - I will need tips as to how to bring it back to full health. I will get a pic of it, and post back.

20180831_134639.png My dear friend @wiseowl has already advised on the rose, and it will get a heavy pruning shortly; I am not sure what to do with the persicaria (I think that is what it is) - I want to keep it, but this past two years it seems to have developed a flat patch at the back. If I didn't know better, I would say a fox was camping out in it, but our dog would chase it if it was?

The shrub on the left - no idea what it is (can get closer image if needed) - bears red berries, has waxy, mottled leaves. Should I trim it back or not?

Well, there you go - that is how bad a garden can get inside a year when it is not being tended.

• Like Like x 10
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,611
      Never look back. You'll get it sorted. Wish I was there to lend some muscles. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,577
        You're good wishes are a helping hand @CanadianLori :)

• Like Like x 2
        • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
          Ratings:
          +5,404
          You were ''in there'' not funny. Now you are '' out there '' and just see how things are looking up!!
          You are living proof that gardening therapy is so worthwhile. Well done both of you :yay::yay::yay:

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
            Ratings:
            +6,097
            'Gardening' Therapy. How true. Forgive me please. Earlier in my life, like most youngsters. I wanted to be. So although I was at first employed as a solicitors clerk, and then a police officer, I held a deep yearning to become a medical doctor. Strange how life turns out. Sixty years later, I did become a doctor, not of medicine, despite some three years of reading medicine. My doctrate was in plant sciences and plant pathology.

Gardening as being therapeutic. Here perhaps I might extend gardening to include akind of relationship to the outdoors and woodlands. Please test me out. OK you find yourself, gutts-up, sick and tired of it all. Woe is me. If you are the type who so often consults your GP. He/She will make a note. Clinically depressed. Please take the Docs advice but steer clear of the medication. Antidepressants will lower your resistance and you will become dependant on medication. Take yourself outside, go for a walk and aim to get amongst some trees. Now stop. Stand still and relax. Clear your mind. Sounds daft I know, but. I've been there and got the tee shirt. I have at times, thought I knew it all. I have been down in the dumps, asking. Where do I go from here? Trust me. It works. How, Why? Not my branch of natural science but. I tend to feel that being amongst trees, the air we now breath in is so much cleaner, we become relaxed and our mind starts to function better. Please try it

• Like Like x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
              Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
            • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
              Ratings:
              +5,404
              Such good advice Mike :)

• Like Like x 1
              • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
                Ratings:
                +50,864
                What an achievement already, both for you and Mrs FC. A :star::star:for each of you. But please don't overdo it (like @shiney does :rolleyespink:)! Take care. :imphrt:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                • Agree Agree x 2
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,465
                  Did someone call? :loll:

Well done FC :yay:. It will all come together gradually - but don't overdo it :) (look who's talking!!!) :doh:

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                    +8,083
                    So great that you are feeling up to really getting going again in the garden and yes as @Victoria rightly says, you have done well already. How is Mrs FC @Fat Controller?:snorky:. Did she need to go and lie down in a darkened room for many hours to recover from being instructed on the hard labour that took place:rolleyespink:.
                    Re the Persecaria. It is easy to lift and replant to get rid of the bare patch. It likes being split up regularly. Re the shrub and pruning, it really depends on when it normally flowers but perhaps as things have grown so much it would be a good idea to give it a fair sized hair cut even if it might mean you loose next season's flowers. Keep up the good work but take lots of breaks to rest too.

• Like Like x 3
                    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                      Ratings:
                      +49,577
                      I must admit that I have 'paid' for it all night - put in one hell of a night last night, so looks unlikely that I will be doing anything today :sad: Frustrating, as we weren't out there that long, especially when I think that I used to be lost out there for up to ten hours without even blinking an eye. Still, we have made a start, and it was good to be out there in the sun.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                      • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                        Ratings:
                        +5,404
                        You can be out there in the sun without working today then....sometimes gardens just need a coat of ''looking at'' :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 3
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                          Ratings:
                          +49,577
                          Bless, Mrs C is an absolute trooper and has taken to doing the hard work like a duck to water, whilst I can merely assist at the moment. I come in handy for knowing what to chop and what not to chop.

The bare patch is currently not as bare as it first looks - it has loads of cape fuchsia roots that want digging out, and whilst Mrs C is going to have a go at it at some point, I don't want her hurting herself (she is petite - good things come in small packages!), so I might have to wait until mother in law's boyfriend comes round (they do regularly) and he will do it for me.

The Persecaria - glad to hear that it is probably only needing refreshed, but I will still split it a bit I think, and nick some of it for elsewhere in the garden, as I quite like it; how tolerant is it of a dryish area (I am thinking of putting it next to the laurel)

I am not sure about the shrub - I have never seen flowers on it, so don't know when it blooms, and it 'hides' its berries under the foliage. As we have loads of birds and squirrels (almost pets!) I might leave it alone until next year.

• Like Like x 1
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                            +17,487
                            Plenty of good advice already FC so best wishes with your gardening therapy and garden recovery. :) Come next spring and summer you will appreciate all this hard work :)

Feeling the effects? Maybe a rest today then. The garden will still be there tomorrow or whenever you feel fit enough

Some excellent plants there that will respond well to prunin, Annabelle for example esp with a little feeding and mulch, and to division. Persicarias will develop bare patches after a few years...as Silu said......dig, divide and plant the divisions elsewhere in the garden for 2 or 3 rejuvenated clumps:)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                              Ratings:
                              +49,577
                              We may have an indoor project to start dealing with today. Long story, but it involves relatives moving home a bit sharpish, and cannot take a 4ft fish tank with them. We've wanted one for nearly 20 years, so like a muppet, last night I said that we would have it - - - and then we had to frantically measure things to see if it would fit in. Whilst it will be empty to start with for a while, it will have to be put 'in place' as we don't have any other place to store it.

I really should think things through before saying yes :dunno: :doh:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                              • Like Like x 1
                              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                                Ratings:
                                +49,577
                                Thanks Verdun - sadly, my Strong Annabelle is no longer :sad: A combination of being stuck under a plethora of brambles, and then being dryer than a dry mans dry thing all summer, and there is little evidence that it was ever there. I will leave it until I am back on my feet, and maybe next year I can treat myself to a new one (or two!)

I like the idea of dividing the Persecaria as I am looking to put in some more perennials to make things easier.

• Like Like x 1
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1