1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Orchid care advice needed

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by barryman, May 6, 2022.

1. barryman

barryman Gardener

Ratings:
    +30
    I have two orchid plants (see photos), both of which have flowered previously. I water them only every 10 days or so, have potted them in proper Orchid compost, and I don't let them stand in any water. So, please can you advise me on the following:-

Shorter orchid - this flowered a couple of years ago and, although it's still alive, I don't see any new growth ie aerial roots of stems for flowering. What can I do to encourage this???

Taller orchid - I bought this last year from a nursery and it was in beautiful full flower. At the end of flowering I slightly trimmed the old woody stems back a bit (correct thing to do?). At the moment it looks like there is some activity on the stems which might produce flowers. If they flower, what is the advice about trimming/pruning etc???

Thanks in advance for any advice BM-20220506_160516.jpg BM-20220506_160503.jpg

Attached Files:

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hi,

Once the flowers have faded , you need to cut the stems off as low to the base as possible.

Some say just cut the top off the old spike and it may encourage some smaller flowers lower down which is what it looks like is happening to yours, not something we have done, but they say the flowers as smaller.

Watering is best done when you notice that the roots towards the bottom of the pots have turned a paperish white, if they are quite green they do not need watering.
    Also better if you use tepid water, some may also suggest rain water if your tap water is very hard.

Giving them a mist spray over the leaves ( not the onto the flowers) and any roots on top of the pots can be done as often as you like.

When in Bud and Flower you want to use an Orchid in Flower fertilizer and after use a Growth one. Vitax do both, though many others on the market.
    You can use simliar standard fertilizers but they must be diluted to quarter strength.
    However every 4th or 5th watering use just plain water to wash away any excess salts.

All being well they should put up new flower spikes in a couple of months. :smile:

3. barryman

barryman Gardener

Ratings:
    +30
    So, it's the smaller orchid that worries me more. Last year it produced no spikes or flowers. It looks like I am just about keeping it alive !! So what can I do to encourage growth . like aerial roots and spikes. Last year it looked pretty much the same as now. Anything in addition to the suggestions above. ??

4. Billi

Billi Gardener

Mum and student
    Ratings:
    +61
    Mine are in a south facing window where they get plenty of direct sun in the morning, your net curtains may be blocking much needed sunlight.
    Also i feed mine organic fish blood and bone powder in the tray once a year in spring and are in constant flower
    20220507_083728.jpg 20220507_083757.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: May 7, 2022
    • barryman

barryman Gardener

Ratings:
      +30
      Thanks, Billi, for the tip. When you say "in the tray" I presume you mean to stand the pot in water. It's just that I thought we shouldn't stand in water. But perhaps once or twice a year for a feed won't kill it.

Does anyone know how often to top-feed an orchid, ie mixed with normal watering ??

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Hi @Billi

Had to smile as you seem to be doing the reverse of what we were always told to do with Phals, ie. not in direct sunlight/south facing and must be in a clear pot as the 'roots' need light.

Still you have got a lovely display there, so clearly it works well for you ... :dbgrtmb:

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Hi @barryman

We grow a few Phals in the greenhouse and sometimes you do get the odd one not doing much or even going home.
      Suppose we could have looked into things more, but as the rest are fine, we just let the odd one go.

You could try a change in its location along with feeding and misting and see if it responds though that can take several weeks.
      Also check for any white patches , typical signs of Mealy Bug down in the crown of the plant.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Hi,

You can stand it on wet pebbles etc to create at moisture rich area, but not recommended to sit the pot directly into water all the time.

You can feed every watering as mentioned , though you need to use plain water on the 4-5 watering.

Thats what we have always done at it give us these grand results, all the plants below were out of flower rescue plants fron garden centers that we gave some tlc.

001143.jpg
      001144.jpg
      001145.jpg 001147.jpg 001148.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
        Last edited: May 7, 2022
      • Billi

Billi Gardener

Mum and student
        Ratings:
        +61
        Hi i keep mine on a tray and bottom water when they need a drink, i dont give so much as there to be any water left standing in the tray, if there is any left after leaving for 30 mins or so i pour it away.
        I know im not doing it the 'proper' way but it works for me :biggrin:
        I also never mist them, i wipe the leaves to keep them dust free once in a while

• Billi

Billi Gardener

Mum and student
        Ratings:
        +61
        Your plants are gorgeous!

• Like Like x 1
        • Kitte

Kitte Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +78

I also have an orchid that has never flowered, doesn’t worry me though.