1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Over-watering saxifrage

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SimonZ, Apr 28, 2020.

1. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    Does anyone have any good rules of thumb for saxifrage, particularly re watering? The climate where I live is perfect for saxifrage, and mine always get plenty of rainwater in typical years, but this April has been unusually dry and sunny so I've watered on average twice daily - morning and night. I've noticed how one or two clumps have diminished a bit so am wondering if perhaps I've over-done it?

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,612
    Many of the Saxifrages are considered to be rock garden plants Simon, so they need very little or no water, preferring a dry site.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,069
      Well, not that good on alpines, but as Sheal says, once established I dont think I would be doing much watering.
      I think most like sharp drainage, but probably cool and sunny conditions, not always easy to replicate.
      I think once a week in very dry spells rather than twice a day.:yikes::smile:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1