1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Overwintering fuschias

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by cbcarolyn, Sep 3, 2011.

1. cbcarolyn

cbcarolyn Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    I wonder if anyone can help with this, I fancy keeping a few of the plants from my tubs over the winter if possible. I remember reading years ago about leaving them dormant in a shed or garage, but can't find any referece to it now.

I do have a conservatory, which does get cold over night but we use during the day, not sure if it would like it or not.

My aim is to keep it alive and then take cuttings in February March time, so the plant can be a bit of a mess as it will be just a parent!

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,617
    You can take cuttings now and over-winter them inside. :)

3. cbcarolyn

cbcarolyn Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Thank you for you reply
    How do I overwinter them though? will they want some heat all the time?

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,617
    Fuschias will be fine in your conservatory, don't worry about heat, as long as they are frost free they should be okay. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
      +257
      Your best solution would be to lift your fuchsias toward the end of this month cut them back leaving a main framework of harder stems .Pot them into 5in pots (ajust the pot size to suit plants) using multi purpose compost. Label your plants and water in . As you cut back you could take a few cuttings if you wish ..Place your plants in the conservatory and just give the tinyest amount of water ocassonally on warm days ,this just stops them drying out ,to much will cause them into excessive growth .On very cold days and nights cover with fleece or newspaper to give a little extra protection . In th spring as weather warms up increase water and they will start to shot and you can take your cuttings ..
      Hope this helps

Dave

• Like Like x 3
      • cbcarolyn

cbcarolyn Gardener

Ratings:
        +11
        Thank you for the advice - I will give it a go. I have 4 nice plants in the garden so got to be worth a try.