Parkers Quality ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by DMM, Mar 2, 2020.

1. lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,254
    A couple of years or so back I ordered some bare root roses from Parkers...duly planted them but 5/6 months later they were not what I ordered,they had been missed labelled..initially I was rather peeved as when you have a colour scheme in you border and they are not what you wanted when in bloom it gets on my ning nangs...

But I must say when I contacted them they immediately sent replacements (the ones I actually wanted in the first place) it was a bit of a pain having to dig them out plus a good chunk of the surrounding soil to replant the new ones but they were quick to rectify the problem.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Cuttings

Cuttings Gardener

Horticulturalist
      Ratings:
      +486
      Never planted ning nangs, are they any good ?:rasp:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
        +58
        How funny ..... first time I've heard that phrase. I'm having it!

• Like Like x 1
          Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
        • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
          +58
          Further update: they've arrived already! Ordered Wed evening and delivered to office at lunchtime today. Great timing as I only work until 1pm on a Friday so I got them straight home and the absolutely glorious spring type day it's been here enabled me to be outside all afternoon. Heaven.
          I'm extremely hungry now though!
          Oh and all the plants look fine :thumbsup:
          So far so good .... :fingers crossed:

• Like Like x 3
          • Perki

Perki Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,022
            Sorry for the late reply nick , it crossed my mind today when I come across the same picture on the desktop background. Yes it is a Monarda, Monarda Scorpion to be exact , I grow squaw as well . I find them to be fickle plants not quite sure if they are going to come up from one year to the next. Squaw is a tad different though because its evergreen and doing very well.

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Super Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,003
              Thanks Perki, I think I've tried two different ones over the years but they've never done well, they always seem to die off in my heavy clay soil however much grit I add to it! I'm going to have a go with 'Beauty of Cobham' this year in a container, see how that one does. :)

Nick

• Perki

Perki Super Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,022
                When I've planted mine @Nikolaos I've dug in plenty of organic matter. I've grown Beauty of Cobham it did the best out of the original plants I bought, I planted it to close to a shrub which sapped the moister out of the ground so it eventually succumbed, they are funny plants like it damp and moist during the summer but like it free draining in the winter, that why organic matter probably better it does both it opens the soil structure up but also retain some moister as well. They are susceptible to powdery mildrew as well its a white coating of the leaves, occurs when the plant get to dry

My squaw is in heavy soil which gets water logged and it seems to soldier on , I do have some spare plants if you want to try one?

• Like Like x 1
                • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Super Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,003
                  @Perki Thanks for the advice regarding monarda mate, very useful! :) Really appreciate the kind offer, but I'm not too keen on red. My garden is getting a bit oppressive with so much purple in it, so I'm going to add lots of white, blue and a little pink (that's where 'Beauty of Cobham' comes in), which will hopefully give the garden a lift colour-wise. I don't usually like warm colours, but I might try adding a touch of orange too, it combines well with purple, I think. :smile:

Nick

• Like Like x 1