1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Partial Shade Climber for fence?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by saint_david, Apr 18, 2011.

1. saint_david

saint_david Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, can anyone recommend a climbing, flowering plant to grow against my shady fence (right hand side of the picture)? The fence gets very little direct sunlight in the morning and spends the rest of the day in the shade. We're just after something to brighten up that side of the garden if possible :) TIA!

[​IMG]

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    How about a Variegated Ivy? Kept clipped and under control it's not as bad as their reputation suggests.

3. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    Nice suggestion Aaron but what about a climbing hydrangea? That's quite happy in shade, has an interesting structure, with leaves that last well in Autumn, and usually has a mass of flower heads.

Chris

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Hadn't thought about that idea Chris, but it's a good one!

5. saint_david

saint_david Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions :)

In all honesty we probably wont be living in this house in a couple of years time. Is there anything that would fit the bill that's particularly quick growing?

6. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    Both should give some cover over a couple of years and will be a nice legacy for those who follow you. But don' be tempted to plant Fallopia baldschuanica, Russian Vine also known as Mile-a-minute vine. Whoever moves in after you certainly won't thank you!

Chris

7. simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,318
    How about a honeysuckle they're fairly fast growing and don't mind shade.

8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I find honeysuckles tend to romp towards the light, leaving the base a bit threadbare and woody.

Chris, I always thought Climbing Hydrangea took several years to establish?

9. simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,318
    Depends on the variety I think Sussexgardener, some are more tolerant of shade than others, I have Tellmanniana (lovely orange flowered one) thats in a shady spot and it does brilliantly,no bare base.
    Agree the hydrangeas do take a while to establish, have one against a shady wall here taken a few years to get going but its pretty amazing now it has, heading for the roof :-)

10. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    I guess it depends how big it is when you plant it, how ell you plant it and what the growing conditions are like. Admittedly, it's not the fastest , so perhaps not right for a two year tenure. I think you're on the right track with honey suckle Sinbad, though I agree they can get a bit straggly.

Chris