1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Passionflower dropping buds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jervis, Jul 8, 2006.

1. jervis

jervis Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    - and one more thing, if I may! The passionflower on the terrace in a pot has come through the winter with lots of healthy foliage and is covered in flower buds. Sadly, only about 1 in 8 flowers - the rest of the buds just drop off. Any ideas? We're 'watering freely' as advised for this time of the year. :confused:

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,919
    Morning, Jervis. It may be that there is too much Nitrogen in your soil. Try giving it a little high potassium fertilizer. Concrete or clay pots are preferable for nutrient absorbtion.

3. jervis

jervis Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, L of L - I'll try that. I just assumed that, as I bought it in a container and it lives in one filled with JI compost, that it would be properly balanced, but maybe I'm being naive!

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    They can be greedy plants, I find, I go along with L of L, try the old tomato fertilizer that helps most flowering plants.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • jervis

jervis Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks Pete - just proves how wrong the little card stuck in the pot can be! It clearly says don't feed - obviously very, very wrong! :( We've put some Miracle-Gro on for now (last Sunday) and will see what happens.

• Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
      Ratings:
      +213
      I took this today when the sun came out. We share a love for this beautiful flower.

[​IMG]

In answer to your question I think that Passion flowers would put a lot of strain on the water and nutrients in the soil of a pot. I grow passion flowers in the ground with a good qualtity compost and chicken manure but I have also grown them in large oak barrels. I think that like most plants/trees de-foliating or de-budding is a reflection of the plants ability to bloom in the conditions it is growing. Top dressing the pot with a peat based compost plus chicken pellets and then regular liquid tomato food would get you those other 7 buds to open. I also find that unless you mix in the JInnes 3 with a decent compost the soil sets like concrete and does not allow roots to prosper in pots. In fact they tend to rot off when they get wet again.

BM [​IMG]

• jervis

jervis Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Wow! Gorgeous - I'll try and take a pic to add to the site too. Just heard from the friend on whose terrace the plant is growing and she says that the feed we gave it has already made it perk up! To think we nearly starved the poor thing! :eek: BM, the JI is 'aerated' by the addition of perlite, so it doesn't set hard. I'd rather not use peat-based compost, thanks - trying to do my planet-saving bit! Am buying tomato fertilizer on the way home tonight. Moral: Ignore plant labels, ask this chatroom instead. [​IMG]

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,919
      Thank you. No, no, thank YOU! No, no, no, THANK YOU! Thank you, jervis for your moral comments ... we all do what we can to help each other. [​IMG] [​IMG] :rolleyes:

• Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
      Ratings:
      +213
    • johnnyco

johnnyco Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Just joined & my dropping bud problem differs as my plant is in soil & has happily produced lots of flowers in recent years but this year buds are all dropping. Remedy?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,035
      Too dry maybe,:scratch: or possibly making buds too early, I find they come into their own in this month, august, so still time.

• Agree Agree x 1