1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Patience is a virtue

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PeterS, Mar 25, 2006.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    First warm day - 13c - for a long time. I sat on a small wall and had a good examination of a seed tray that has been left outside uncovered for 12 months . I can just see one or perhaps two seeds of Aconitum Napellus germinating. I know they are Aconitum and not something blown in, as I can see the growth coming out of the large black Aconitum seed. The instructions did say can take up to 1 year.

The moral is - patience, grasshopper!

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,506
    I know about patience too . Someone at work gave me some tree peony seed which I sowed in a tray and after three months in the glasshouse I put it outside, forgot it for nine months till last nov when shoots appeared. Now there are 20 young potted plants ready for planting later in the year. A good job I waited. :D

3. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Patience is a virtue - find it if you can, its seldom found in woman, but never in a man.

Well thats what my grandma used to say, just passing on the quote.

Are your seeds the yellow aconites? they sound a bit more special than the ones I have in my garden. As to tree peonies, I was given one from seed and waited ages for it to flower. It was always a bit of a nuisance, I had put it in a prominant place and althought the leaves were sculptural it never gave much of a show. Eventually it started to flower profusely, however it was disapointing in comparison to my other peonies. I dare not dig it out as it was given to me by an uncle that had died. Last year the builders finished it off and I have to say it was a relief. Hope yours is worth waiting for.

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Waco, no my Aconitum is the tall blue one 4 or 5 foot tall.

As to patience, I think your grandama was probably right. I can understand why people will buy fully grown plants in a garden centre, especially as we now live in an instant gratification society. I have just sown seeds this year of Eremurus Robustus (Foxtail Lily). When you see how huge the tubers are, it is going to take years to reach that size. I have asked myself why? The reason is that the seeds were free (via RHS seed scheme). Perhaps that incentive is even stronger!

5. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have grown eremerus (oouu er I cal it big willy plant) the - what ever it is you call it is lik a n octopus, you plant it in the ground and up it comes.
    well of course we lost ours in the wet but I have planted some more and live in hope.

Only reason I asked about your aconitum is that you live close to my sister in Burley in wharfdale. I have loads of the yellow aconites and would have gladly brought you som over next weekend, I just had more than an incling that yours would be a bit more special.

Anyway I have loads of cuttings/layerings which I will gladly bring to Burley if they are of any uese to fellow Norht/west ridinger.

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Waco - many thanks for your very kind offer. I have just sent you an e-mail.