Patio Black Spot Remover

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by BenCotto, Apr 1, 2024.

1. BenCotto

BenCotto Gardener

Ratings:
    +403
    They must have pondered for a good five seconds before coming up with this product name! Has anyone used it? Online reviews are impressive but at £65 for four litres/20 metres coverage I would expect it to be good. Is it noticeably better than similar but much cheaper cleaners? Thanks for any advice.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,988
    It depends what the black spots are! If they're mature lichens, the only thing that will remove them is Hydrochloric acid, AFAIK. This is my go-to site pavingexpert.com There should be some up-to-date, unbiased advice on there :)

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +90,018
    I've been trying "Wet and Forget", it kills lichen, but again, what are the black spots, what causes them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,113
      14_15% bleach kills off the spots. Bac. 50 also,not tried that one myself. Very toxic so full protection for you and wildlife. 30 quid for 5 Ltr on ebay.

• copperdog

copperdog Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +15
      Hello I have been pondering the same query....Has anyone used this and had good success. the black spots come from where leaves have fallen and whatever it is on the underneath of the leaf makes the black spots (I read somewhere) patio magic has not helped. It says apply twice I think and then jet wash off again...I also saw wet and forget which I wondered if that was any better than PM as it was more expensive. Being a little lazy I think as it is the jet washing again after that does not appear as we have done that already :help:

• BenCotto

BenCotto Gardener

Ratings:
      +403
      I used Black Spot Remover and it lived up to its self publicity. The coverage was exactly as described and I followed the instructions - spray on a generous covering, leave for two hours, jet wash off. Here’s the proof
      57BCF001-35EA-4F2E-A3A8-7BBC67DB61B7.jpeg

3F03BE47-683B-4AF4-A975-C4CA311C1FFD.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
      • AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,245
        Embrace the lichens! I have mostly ‘white spots’ (there is a product for that too) but I don’t mind them. A power wash will clean a patio with no product /bit of detergent. Bleach works but I worry about any chemicals and run-off to my borders.

• Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Keen Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,566
        I used bleach 50% Water 50% around the swimming pool at my old house in France (sold it 3 yrs ago, relief, expense and upkeep), then pressure washed then I used an expensive French product which was similar to Patio Magic. It all looked cleaner but the black marks were still there.

The marks are not due to leaves @copperdog, there weren't trees around the pool.

Before

IMG_1888.JPG

After, but a year later.

IMG_4043.JPG

• copperdog

copperdog Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +15
        Thank you for all your advice everyone. thank you @BenCotto for the first reply with photos. ok...I might try the bleach....@ben did you think about trying the PM or W&F rather than BS remover? Oh my goodness @Busy-Lizzie your pool is incredible! thank you too @AuntyRach. I have the white lichen on my front steps but I don't really mind them. The black spots are just that little more unsightly. I have copied a thing below when I googled the BS hence the leaves thing. I will also challenge myself to a photo upload...
        The patio black spots that grow on your garden stonework are actually spots of black lichen. The spores from the black lichen start life as tiny dust-like spores growing on the underside of leaves on trees and plants. These spores are carried, by the wind and the rain, onto your stonework in their millions.

• Like Like x 1
        • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Keen Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,566
          My 4 children, then my grandchildren, loved the pool but I found it an increasing nightmare to keep clean as I grew older, @copperdog. I'm glad I don't have a pool at my current house.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +90,018
            If it's brown marks underneath fallen leaves it could be tannin staining, depending on the type of tree.

• BenCotto

BenCotto Gardener

Ratings:
            +403
            I tried Wet and Forget last year or, to be honest, Lidl’s cheaper equivalent. It was no more than OK, giving perhaps a 30% improvement. It’s not something I’d buy again

• Agree Agree x 1
            • pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +90,018
              Wet and forget appears to be a moss and lichen killer.
              It kills it but you are reliant on the weather and foot traffic actually remove it as far as I can tell, I won't be buying any more might as well just pressure wash.