1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pelargoniums

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clanless, Apr 23, 2021.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,625
    Fancied having a go at growing Pelargoniums this year for the first time - so picked up some plugs from B&Q.

I know that they can survive in a green house/potting shed over Winter - but this means that I will have to plant them in pots - so that they are mobile.

I'd really like to plant them into the front garden - and leave them in the ground over Winter - the questions is would a bell cloche provide enough protection for them to survive over Winter?

Ta :smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
      Ratings:
      +54,374
      I have well over 50 at the moment ( can't resist taking cutttings :heehee:) ,they all get planted out into the borders and display pots. I do dig them all up and overwinter them in a 'cold frame' that hubby made me. I don't mind doing this as I think they are worth it. I just keep a load of pots ready to pot them in during early Autumn.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +18,180
        @clanless I doubt whether they'd last the winter in the ground with a bell cloche over them, it would not be enough protection against sub-zero temperatures.
        Also the cloche would keep in a lot of moisture and they'd go mouldy and rot.
        It's best to keep them somewhere cool but frost free, with plenty of ventilation, and also keep them dry. I don't water mine from November until end of February.
        I have lots that I overwinter in a perspex lean-to and I take more cuttings from them every spring. Like @Upsydaisy I can't resist taking cutting of them (and everything else lol)

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
          Ratings:
          +54,374
          I'm an addicted snipper Michael, how can anyone resist.:dunno:
          They are very prone to mould and rot if kept in a damp atmosphere.:dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
            Ratings:
            +7,625
            Thanks for the replies everyone :dbgrtmb:.

I planted them up this morning in some terracotta pots - so that I can bring them indoors over Winter.

For some reason I tend to think that Pelargoniums are best grown in terracotta pots - perhaps it was because I saw a nice display of them at the Eden Project in these pots.

• Like Like x 1