1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Penstemon cuttings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Steve R, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    I took some penstemon cuttings earlier in the year, and placed in the propogator...these died. Took some about a month ago, non flowering shoots..cut below a leaf node, some I dipped in rooting powder, some I did not. I left half of each of those on the windowsill, the other half in my unheated greenhouse. Most have died...one or two are still green but have wilted.

Can anyone shed any light on what I might be doing wrong?

Also, the donor plant is still in the bed...what if anything can I do to protect it from winter? Cut it down and cover rootstock with compost, leave topgrowth on or simply dig up, pot on and overwinter in the greenhouse?

BTW, I have googled this already and following advice found there is how I took cuttings twice this year that are now gone.

Many thanks!

Steve...:)

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Hi Steve
    Have you tried the search, 3rd button from the right under your name ,theres some good info there.Type Penstemon.
    I have some tiny plants i grew from seed this year so i was looking to find out how to care for them in the winter aswell.
    It says not to cut them down as this will give them a little protection throug the winter

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Steve I have never taken Penstemon cuttings - so have no direct experience. Although you have reminded me - that I meant to do some this autumn. So I will have a go.

There is some debate on the subject here. http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-38218.html

Generally plants root quite happily by themselves, so you don't have to make them do anything to make them root, but you do have to stop them dying before they have rooted. Cutting material initially doesn't have any roots so cannot draw up water from the soil, but it is loosing moisture from the leaves. So its a race - can it grow roots before it dies of dehydration or dies from rot from too much moisture in the soil.

Usually the key is to stop the plant loosing moisture whilst it prepares to grow roots. So to prevent moisture loss - keep it out of the sun, don't have too many leaves, mist the leaves to give it a drink but don't water the soil after the initial watering, or the stem will rot. And you can cover it with a polythene bag (with some air holes) to keep the moisture in. I also like to use a heated propagator for all my cuttings as the extra warmth speeds up the process. But a heated propagator is often not neccessary.

On the question of overwintering plants - they don't like the wet. So if in doubt lift it and put in in a greenhouse to keep it dry - it obviously need a bit of water.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi Steve, Pam is right.. Don't cut back the old flowering stems in the autumn as they help to protect the crown of the plant and its new shoots from the frost. When new shoots appear at the base & all
    danger of a heavy frost is passed, then you can cut most Penstemons well back being careful not to damage the new shoots that are coming on...

As for taking cuttings it is too late in the year now I think, the days are too short now & the light levels too low... Well unless you have a light box of course... The best time really to take cuttings is mid to late summer and over winter them for planting out in the late spring. Traditional “soft wood” cuttings (the same practice as done on fuchsias) will produce reliable results I find and can be easily rooted in pots on the windowsill. I use a mix of 50/50 of potting compost with vermiculite, I use Hormone rooting liquid myself as it will increase your chances of success and be sure to cover the pot with a polythene bag or into a propagator, misting them first before sealing the bag or propagator, this is also where using clear plastic glasses from the supermarket helps rather than small pots. I use the small size ones with a few holes made in the bottom then you can see when the roots have come through, then remove from bag or propagator your cuttings should root within 3-4 weeks, gently water the cuttings in but don’t over water during growth, once they have rooted pot on and then gradually harden off (i.e stand outside during the day and bring in overnight for a week or two) then they are ready for planting out in the garden after the frosts next spring.. Plant in groups for max effect too... :wink: Hope that is of some help Steve..

5. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Having a new garden I've been eager to take as many cuttings as possible - penstemon included.

Although it is probably a bit late in the year, I've just taken a few more and don't expect to have any more difficulty with those than I've had with any of the others, although they will of course take longer to root because of the shorter, colder days.

I do pretty much as Marley has described. I take a non-flowering shoot about 3" long, cut it just below a leaf joint with a sharp (preferably sterile) knife, remove the lower leaves, dip it in some hormone rooting powder or liquid and stick 3 or 4 around the edge of a 5" pot of compost - I usually use JI Seed or JI No.1 mixed 50/50 with perlite or vermiculite, water them in and cover with a polythene/freezer bag (I usually stand them in a shallow tray on some LECA, just to keep them moist) then do nothing until you see tiny white roots peeping out of the bottom of the pot at which point I pot them up individually.

Don't cut down your parent plants, most penstemons are hardy (although they may suffer a bit of damage) but the stems are hollow and the old foliage, flower heads etc., will help protect the plant during the winter - stop it from rotting from the inside. Cut back the 'dead stuff' next Spring when you see new growth appearing.

6. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    Many thanks for all the detailed replies, think I'll try taking a couple more cuttings today..nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Great idea Marley to use the plastic glasses to enable root formation checking!

Thanks for the link Peter.

Steve...:)