1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

perennial ground cover

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by allmarangie, Sep 24, 2011.

1. allmarangie

allmarangie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    I am a new member, and would appreciate some suggestions as to plants I could grow from seed, to provide perennial ground cover on a strip of dry poor soil (2ft wide x 18 ft long) at the base of a long established privet hedge. The hedge roots grow into the area, and quite close to the surface in places, so that planting pockets would have to dug out as required. I am hoping for something that would spread out and cover the whole soil surface eventually.:help:
    Thanks in anticipation.

2. alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,073
    The problem with any sort of ground cover plant in the border you describe would be lack of nutrients and moisture, all of which are taken by the hedge. You would face an additional problem when cutting the hedge as you would have to stand on the planting, and the trimmings would drop all over. A better solution might be a membrane covered with shingle or similar. You would need to put a catching sheet over the shingle when cutting. If you really want planting, then a small leaved varigated ivy or creeping dead nettle are both pretty robust, but you would have to keep them under control so they didn't climb up the hedge.

3. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    What about Aubretia.
    It is surface creeping. Does not need much in the way of moisture or nutrients.

4. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    Acaena inermis 'Purpurea' could be suited if the light conditions are favourable ... i.e sun/semishade but research a bit further

http://www.perennials.com/seeplant.html?item=1.005.150

hardy and can be walked on .... I have read that some people have planted this plant instead of lawn and they mow it with a lawnmower

[​IMG]

5. simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,318
    Geranium Macrorrhizum is a great one for a shady or part shady spot, never grown from seed but grows so easily from cuttings, just been propogating mine for my woody area, spreads by rhizomes but you can make lots of plants very quickly by just breaking off a bit of the fleshy rhizome and sticking it in a pot of compost 3 weeks later the plants are all rooted, evergreen and takes on a lovely red tinge in autumn also the leaves are scented when crushed, smothers weeds and pink or white flowers in spring, completely trouble free, I think I love this plant:heehee:

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Well if they don't have to be ground hugging plants, Hardy Geraniums are super plants for doing that as simbad says..
    There is always one to suit most conditions really but do well under hedges etc & depending on what sort you can have flowers all through late spring & summer into Autumn, just pick ones that do not need full sun.. Hellebores are another & beautiful flowers in winter & spring.. Heathers, there are winter & summer flowering ones.. :sunny: Aubretia & campanula are 2 very easy ground huggers..

7. allmarangie

allmarangie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: Ground cover

Hi ,
    Thanks to everyone who replied.I would prefer to have some colour, but at least I can now explore a few options, and possibly combine a couple of your suggestions.[​IMG]