1. Forum News
    A NEW PHOTO COMP WILL BE STARTING THIS MONTH more information in Photo Competitions Photo Competitions Are Changing!
    Please Support The Road Verge Campaign!
    Dismiss Notice

Perovskia "Blue Spire."

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SimonZ, Dec 14, 2018.

1. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +276
    Colour now fading and it is going to seed. Wondering what to do re the stalks. In the past it has taken care of its self but it has grown impressively and I want to take care to attend to it in theDSCF0266.JPG best possible way. Any thoughts?

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,437
    SimonZ......not too complicated. Wait until spring and then prune to a few inches of the ground if you want a more bushy plant...as I do....or to a little higher. (Stems will be less lax too if you cut harder) Cut to where lowest new shoots are growing; you can see then which stems are dead so so remove these entirely.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
      +276
      Hi, this plant is now putting out new green growth. I am wanting to clarify what I should do next. I began cutting to the new shoots today, but note you also say above it is possible to cut to within a few inches of ground. Presumably if I do so, new growth will still come this year. I'm tempted to cut some of the plant right back but keep some of the new growth.DSCF2734.JPGDSCF2735.JPGDSCF2734.JPGDSCF2735.JPGDSCF2735.JPG

• KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,314
      Hi @SimonZ , if it was mine I would cut the old stems between the new shoots, for instance in pic 1 just above those two shoots.

• Like Like x 1
      • Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,437
        Hiya SimonZ
        Yes you can right down to the ground now. This helps make for more sturdy growth disinclined to flop. I would cut all growth back to the ground but if you prefer to you can prune to where the new shoots appear.
        It will still grow and flower whatever you do :)

• SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
        +276
        Update: I cut back down to the ground as suggested. The plant flowered moderately through the summer, a bit shorter than usual but somewhat bushier. It was quite battered by the rain and the front half or so of the clump became quite bowed forward at one point. But even the combination of quite heavy sun and very heavy rain did not result in a vigorous growth. I'm wondering ifanyone has any tips as we go into the autumn? Thanks.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Gardener

Ratings:
          +633
          What is your soil type, Simon? Perhaps an important factor here. Asking because I absolutely love these and want to block/drift plant them both on my allotment and at home.

Nick

• Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,437
          Yes SimonZ
          Do nothing until the spring now......then prune back to a few buds. If you want it to be a little sturdier, less floppy, then you can cut again around early May.
          Don’t feed or water too much, if at all, next summer. Grow it hard :)
          It is a fairly hardy plant