1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Petrol Strimmer advice please

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by RDB85, May 1, 2022.

Tags:
  1. RDB85

RDB85 Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    I’m looking to buy a used Stihl Strimmer. I’ve never owned one so I’m not sure the difference in the models. I would prefer one with the D style handle. Any help and advice please would be fantastic

2. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    What model are you looking at?

they do 4 mix and the good old simple 2 stroke. Bent or straight shaft?
    The 4 mix needs valve adjustments ever so often but with all Stihl tools it’s now recommended to use super unleaded due to the ethanol content in the petrol.

3. RDB85

RDB85 Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    I am not sure on model as I’ve never owned one. I’ve seen them used quite a bit by professionals, so I thought they must be good. I’m open to suggestions or even different models. I have two edges that are near pavement and two that are near soil. I’ve been using edging shears. They are a pain when using by the paved areas.

4. Liz the pot

Ratings:
    +1,259
    any edges by the pavement I tend to use a half moon to tidy it up then I would use shears to edge that part. Same with soil borders, I never used as strimmer to edge them as I preferred a nice clean finish.

the problem is professional users tend to use them day in day out so the fuel is always fresh. I did but I still went through some carbs.

What I would do is pop in to my local Stihl dealership to see what they have. Unfortunately prices have rocketed like most things but at least you can see what they’re like. You don’t want cow horns as they are meant for large areas and larger brushcutters.
    With Stihl petrol tools you will need to mix oil in with the petrol too. Some dealers hold secondhand stuff so you might find a strimmer there or at least get the best advise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • RDB85

RDB85 Gardener

Ratings:
      +10
      I may just buy an edging iron and some new edging shears. As it’s worth a go.

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,693
      Is this intended for a lot of use? From the above it sounds like very light use and if it were me I'd skip a professional level model as it's over egging it a bit!
      Given the petrol cost and that it might sit in the tank and go off, have you considered a battery type? It's what I went for and very happy with it

• Agree Agree x 1
      • RDB85

RDB85 Gardener

Ratings:
        +10
        A battery one could be an option or even an electric one as it’s only getting light use.

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,693
        I'd definitely look at battery ones then. Mine's a 20v black and decker, lightweight and really good for light use - grass etc, not brambles.

• Like Like x 1
        • Welshman

Welshman Gardener

Ratings:
          +520
          I got a battery one from worx ( bare system) as i already had the batteries for the drills and impact wrench

• Like Like x 1
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,057
            @Liz the pot You will know this but thought I would mention that some pros use alkalate fuel.

My local garage has a few classic bikes and they use Aspen fuel too, it's an alkalate petrol highly refined with few additives so lasts a long time. It's better than E5, Aspen do a ready mixed 2 stroke version too. Very expensive but it means you don't have to drain down over winter or replace carbs and seals and the bike starts first time if left unused for months.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Liz the pot

Ratings:
              +1,259
              Thanks, yes you can purchase this, my local one is quite far but if memory serves me well Briggs do a stabiliser and I think Stihl oils have a stabiliser added too.

• Like Like x 1