1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Phlox

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Stardust, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Stardust

Stardust Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I have become a bit obsessive about Phlox Maniculata, and Phlox Paniculata. Over the last few years I have purchased several different cultivars and would now like to increase my stock by propagating from some of the plants to fill my garden.

It would seem to be impossible to find any books or other printed matter devoted solely to this genus and I would certainly like to know if anyone knows of any publications.:help:

Please can anyone give me instructions for the BEST way to propagate this plant, also the BEST time to carry it out. :help:

Many thanks.

Stardust

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    You can propogate them by stem cuttings or root cuttings. Personally, I would leave them alone, they will soon take over your garden.:heehee::heehee::yess:

• Like Like x 1
    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      Mine do seem to be expanding well. I have found numerous extra plants that I just dug up and moved to other parts of the garden.

A source I find most helpful (but not about propagation) is Bob Brown at Cotswald Garden Flowers CGF:: Cotswold Garden Flowers

Bob Brown is a Chelsea gold medalist who runs a nursery outside Evesham. He used to be a schoolmaster and marks his plants on a scale of 1 to 10. I bought 'Lichspell' and 'Monica Lyndon Bell' from him based on his ratings. They have both been superb without any sign of mildew. But I see that 'Lichspell', which I regard as the better, is no longer mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
      • Salgor

Salgor Gardener

Ratings:
        +38
        Advice please ....

I have a beautiful verbascum which is a gorgeous buttery yellow colour. This is it's first year but I realise now that it should have been planted in a different spot as it is sooo tall that it overshadows some of the rest of the plot.:DOH: What I would like to do for next year is split it up and move to several different spots. Can anyone tell me the best time and way to do this.

Another question if I may be so bold :heehee:. What is the best aspect to grow Kerria. I have two rooted cuttings which I have just repotted to last through winter into next year but would like to think about a permanent position for them.

Sally