1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pieris and Magnolia Problems

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by hjc, Mar 28, 2010.

1. hjc

hjc Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anyone can advise me on the following problems:

I bought this Pieris (Forest Flame) in May last year and it was growing well. In the last couple of weeks it looks as if it's drooping and has a few 'rust-like' areas on leaves (see attached pics)

I also bought a very young Magnolia Soulangeana around the same time and the other attached two pics show a comparison between May last year and today. Is it dead รข?? it's never shown any evidence of growth.

Many thanks for any advice.

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,883
    Hi Hjc Maybe its the soil or the hard winter we have had:)this might be of some help to you:thmb:

Pieris forest flame
    Only suitable for growing in soil with a low value PH or in a container of ericaceous compost.If possible, plant this shrub in a site that can provide shelter from hard frosts and strong, cold winds.

Magnolia Soulangeana
    Soil type: clay/heavy, moist, well-drained/light

3. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    neither look dead to me as there appears to be fresh shoots on both plants. make sure they are not waterlogged or too dry.

How and where have they been planted?

4. hjc

hjc Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses. HasBeanCounter I have slightly acid soil in my newly planted shrub area so should be ok for my pieris along with camellia (which hasn't had any buds yet), lilac, hydrangea lacecap (Blue Wave) and hopefully magnolia - and the area is lightly shaded. I was very careful to look up correct planting method(s) and used some bone meal in planting hole before planting, then covered whole area with shredded bark - can't tell whether it is watelogged or dry! Watered copiously during last year and have had rain lately. Thanks.

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Maybe like I said to Barry hjc..

I have no idea what soil you have if it is not acid, you would have needed to have dug plenty of well rotted leaf mould & organic matter into the hole first so that it thinks it is in acidic type soil...

If it was me I would feed them with sequestered iron plant food & see if that helps if it was me, it is good stuff & packed with....:thumb:

But this is just my opinion hjc.. :thumb:

6. has bean counter

Ratings:
    +2
    push a bamboo cane into the soil to the depth of the roots, if it comes out ver wet you might need to investidgate further.

As it was only planted last year, taking it out to check the roots and soil and replanting with plenty of compost should be ok at this time of the year.

When you bought it was the pot crammed with roots going round and round?

Did you use a porous membrane before applying the bark

7. hjc

hjc Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for varied replies. I don't think roots were crammed inside pot - no I didn't use a membrane before laying bark. I'll certainly try the cane method to check ground - not sure about taking it out to check roots!!

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    I dont think this is the problem, but not sure you should use bonemeal when planting ericaceous plants as it contains calcium.
    Personally I think the Pieris looks kind of normal after a hard winter, as long as the new growth comes out OK.
    So the Magnolia made absolutely no growth last year?
    No leaves?
    Seems a bit odd.:cnfs:
    As it does appear to be alive.

9. hjc

hjc Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pete - perhaps I'll leave off the bonemeal then! Hope pieris turns out OK. No- no leaves on Magnolia - if you look at the two pics I attached, the healthy-looking specimen (002) is what it looked like last May and the other one (dated 28-3) is current of course - doesn't appear to have any growth on it at all.

10. has bean counter

Ratings:
    +2
    Isn't the Magnolia Soulangeana deciduous

11. hjc

hjc Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is but doesn't seem to have shown any growth when in 'growing' season!

12. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Its a waiting game I think.

But if it doesn't make real growth this year,personally I'd give up on it and buy a new plant.:)