1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Plant identification - help please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Millicent_G, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Millicent_G

Millicent_G Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone

I've just joined this forum as I'm looking to get a quick start on gardening in London. We normally have a small herb & flower balcony garden in Melbourne (Australia).
    At the moment we're renting a place in South East London for 6 months. The small garden here has not seen any love for a long time.

The front garden faces east and contains mostly weeds that have gone to seed and this plant with bright fushcia flowers that has really taken hold (2 photos attached).

Its probably a really common plant, can anyone please help me identify it? I am trying to decide if we should just cut it back and leave it as it obviously has been flourishing in the neglect.

Thank you in advance.

2017-08-07 20.06.28.jpg 2017-08-07 20.06.18.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,931
      :) Hi Millicent and welcome to GC and to the UK from Australia. I am an escapee from the UK to Portugal. :yay:

Your plant is the Marvel of Peru which grows wild here and I love it. It freely seeds itself.

Mirabilis jalapa - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 3
      • Millicent_G

Millicent_G Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +2
        Thank you for the quick response Victoria. I've read up on it (thanks for the link) and it sounds like we should just trim it back a little and keep it there for some easy colour!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +86,064
            Mirabilis will die down at the first frost, or very soon after, so best left at the moment.
            It grows from tubers that lie dormant all winter and are not totally hardy.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +14,391
            They're hardy here, @pete! Probably hardy in sheltered London too? If you want to keep them, @Millicent_G , you could cover the tubers with a dry-ish mulch in winter. Just in case....

• Like Like x 1