Planting a rugosa rose against a fence on west side of garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Nickoslesteros, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I'd love a rugosa rose to grow as large as possible to fill a rather blank space. And I love the scent they give. I got given a containerised Rosearie d l'hay from someone who had it surplus to requirements. Thing is, the spot I have in mind will only get a few hours of morning sun whilst the rose is little, but once it has grown larger it will get a good number of afternoon hours of sun too, as the fence won't be such a hinderance. I'm wondering if i could try this situation, and maybe accept poor flowering for a few years until it's grown closer to its potential. (That's if it will)

:)

2. Mrs Hillard

Mrs Hillard Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +937
    Lucky you! Not a problem at all for that rose, worry more about its thorns.

Expect a height of around 6-7 feet in time, perhaps as much across..

3. Februarysgirl

Februarysgirl Gardener

Ratings:
    +262
    I have a white one planted against an east facing fence with the shed nearby and it only gets a few hours morning sun. It grows like mad and you really have to keep your eye on it as it'll sprout up everywhere. The pollinators absolutely adore it. You can always tell when a bee's on it from the very loud over-excited buzzing. It's adorable to watch.

4. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    This is really encouraging. Right. I'll get it planted tomorrow. I'm quite excited as there are a few growing out on the dunes which have escaped gardens I suppose, and the scent is superb.

Thank you!