1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Planting an Art-Deco Raised Bed

Discussion in 'Gardening For People With Disabilities' started by LowiePete, Apr 11, 2012.

1. LowiePete

LowiePete Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +88
    Well, they have both survived the 2010/2011 and 2011/2012 winters when placed by my back door - having said that, I'm keeping my eye on the larger one as I'm not sure that it's still alive. In their new exposed positions I'll probably wrap them in future...

A few more pictures with a bit better lighting...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The remains of my original 1930's deco path is visible in the shot below - soon to be given a power wash. The new footpath is in the background, but what this photo shows is the "secret bit" not visible from the road but visible from indoors - I've not decided on how I'll plant this area - the red stone will be moved to the front once the new gate-post is in place.

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Salgor

Salgor Gardener

Ratings:
      +38
      Wow, I am loving your imagination in creating this raised bed.

I have a raised box in my back garden but, unfortunately, it faces north east and is in shade all day.

I have experimented with growing various plants, both annuals and perrenials and none seem to do that well. I am hoping that someone on here might suggest some suitable inhabitants for my box. I would like a fairly tall middle plant or shrub. I did have a notion for a Lavatera but don't know if it would like the position.

My husband suggested planting it up with hostas. I like them but would like something with some varied and bright colour against the foliage. It seems that most colourful plants like a bright and sunny spot.

Suggestions would be welcome.

• LowiePete

LowiePete Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +88
      Hello Folks,

More planting done, almost finished. Just a few annuals to plant below the bay window left to do...

The area behind the box is now a lot tidier!
      [​IMG]

This is, more or less, a view from my desk in the study...
      [​IMG]

Before I could take the next photo, a pretty mingy dog owner watched and allowed their pet to defacate on the white stones and left it for me to clear up. I do sometimes wonder at people, perhaps I should take my dog round to theirs and return the erm, compliment. I've sprayed the whole stone and concrete areas with dilute vinegar which hopefully should stop any repeat fouling...
      [​IMG]

The hardest work at the moment is tamping down this pea-shingle path. I reckon I'll be out there several more evenings yet...
      [​IMG]

A bit more planting done on both of these soil patches, with some more alpine plants infilling the front. I moved a couple of the chamomile plants and was quite amazed at the amount of root growth they had achieved in the space of a couple of weeks.
      [​IMG]

Some planting done in the hidden bit twixt the box and the path. A mix of thymus alpines and 3 bold Gaillardias should provide colour for viewing from the bedroom window.
      [​IMG]

The solar lights give a lot of pleasure too, especially when the street light opposite gets turned off at midnight.
      [​IMG]

Regards,
      Steve

• LowiePete

LowiePete Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +88
      Hello Folks,
      My landscaper popped round today and put in a new fence post, the finishing touch to the whole project. Whilst his van was parked he took the opportunity to take these "bird's eye" pictures...
      [​IMG]

and...

[​IMG]

Now it's just a matter of time to allow everything to mature a bit. I'm thoroughly delighted with the number of passers-by whom I manage to stop in their tracks to take a moment to admire. Their smiles say it all!

Regards,
      Steve

• Like Like x 1
      • LowiePete

LowiePete Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +88
        Hello Folks,
        As promised, some pictures of the garden at dusk with the solar lights lit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,
        Steve

• Like Like x 2
        • westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
          Ratings:
          +598
        • LowiePete

LowiePete Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +88
          Hello Folks,
          A couple of pics showing the Heucherallas, which seem to be struggling, certainly when compared to the hardy geraniums...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They have been watered and fed with Phostrogen like everything else. At first, I was dead pleased because they were living up to their reputation of bringing brightness to a dull corner. I'm guessing that there's something about the soil which they don't like. Any ideas anyone?

Regards,
          Steve

• Like Like x 1
          • westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
            Ratings:
            +598
            My heucherellas are looking a bit sorry for themselves too. They were lovely until two weeks ago. I'm hoping that it's the rain and the colder days we've had as mine did say that they were drought tolerant (not that I'd ever expect a drought here in the west) and they like bright sun. They're hanging on in there though so I'm keeping an eye on them and if the weather persists and the ground gets very wet I'm going to try lifting them and putting them into the greenhouse for a bit of a holiday in the warm.

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,593
            the Huecheras look fine to me .... they are even flowering

bear in mind, that you most probably bought plug plants .... all plants grow for a few months a year, then stop growing .... huechera have already had that window period ... so be patient... don't overwater, and don't over fertilize

• LowiePete

LowiePete Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +88
            Some Small Changes
            Hello Folks,

After another weeding session on the plot, I decided to make some changes. The main one being that the plain green carpet from the Chamomile would look better on the lower level, against the pavement edge. I'm hoping that it might stop some of the fouling - my disbelief at seeing this is beyond description :wallbanging:
            [​IMG]

I think it looks better with the alpines that were down below now placed in the vacant slot left by the Chamomile. The smell from that brings back a lot of memories, going right back to the summer of 1956. That, combined with the French Tarragon growing in the raised bed outside the kitchen takes me back to Normandy and 5 weeks of summer holiday with an Aunt, exploring caves, making cider, gathering honey and being chased by a very angry bull!

The Cordyline in the front galvanised container was looking pretty sorry for itself, so last week I replaced it with Phormium Evening Glow. Actually, I missed a trick there because I could have bought 2 for £20, instead of the £16.50 for just the one. I didn't think I'd have a space for a second one - wrong! :noidea:

[​IMG]

I'm quite pleased that there's now some colour behind the box now. It's been a much nicer day here than of late. We may yet get a summer... (looks for fingers Xd icon):whistle:

[​IMG]

Regards,
            Steve

• Salgor

Salgor Gardener

Ratings:
            +38
            Everything is looking great and when all the geraniums come into flower that area will be really colourful.

• Like Like x 1
            • AstroTurf

AstroTurf Gardener

Ratings:
              +23
              That is gorgeous! It's very modern-looking and contemporary. If I saw a neighbour with that in their yard, I'd know that I'm living next to artistic talent.

• Like Like x 1
              • LowiePete

LowiePete Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +88
                Hello Folks,

Now that the sun has come out, it's time to assess the rain damage and the delay in flowering that the lack of warmth has caused...

The first two photos show the position and pattern of the screening I've had to put up to try and prevent dog fouling. Yeah, it beats me too! :nonofinger:
                [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Verbena Bonariensis is totally living up to the promises made by the nursery. However, there's been a distinct lack of insect life around it. :sad: I just love its open airiness yet distinct stature.
                [​IMG]

The Echinops Compositae Vietch's Blue are a bit behind and not really looking as good as they should and again, no insect interest in them yet...
                [​IMG]

The spring flowering alpines have made way for the summer ones though they're not as pretty. Despite quite a brutal haircut, the hardy geraniums have bounced back bigger than ever but no sign of a second flowering...
                [​IMG]

Plenty of colour along the front, although the pelargoniums are weeks behind with their flowering - there should be a riot of fire colours emanating from those window boxes.
                [​IMG]

The hanging baskets are very disappointing indeed. This one might look OK, but it's been devastated by winds and the riot of blossom it should be by now is absent. Hopefully, some warm weather will help in the next few days.
                [​IMG]

Regards,
                Steve

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                +0
              • LowiePete

LowiePete Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +88
                Thanks. Perhaps, my expectations on how lush it should look by this time are too high...