1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Planting an Art-Deco Raised Bed

Discussion in 'Gardening For People With Disabilities' started by LowiePete, Apr 11, 2012.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,046
    It has done well over-winter, looking very nice now :)

2. LowiePete

LowiePete Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hello Folks,
    A couple of dusk pictures...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
    • LowiePete

LowiePete Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +88
      Hello Folks,
      Wanted! An Explanation...

Talk about me being non-plussed, I'm completely speechless! That sign was glued and screwed to a piece of concrete slab, and guess what? Yeah, someone has ripped it and made off with it, leaving the piece of slab on the pavement, for someone else to trip over in the dark.

I'm presently building my back garden project with some nice features, and this experience is making me wonder about just how secure it all is. OK, so it's a sign that cost me a couple of quid. Even so, words fail me in beginning to try and understand this kind of behaviour. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Regards,
      Steve

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,595
      There are well known words for people that do such things. Unfortunately none of those words are allowed on family friendly forums.

I know its no consolation, but this sort of thing happens no matter where you are. I had a lovely terracotta planter pinched from right outside the front door, and wife found it smashed up in the church grounds next door. A while ago we had one member reporting that his clients hanging baskets had been nicked. A few years ago I packed in going to the pub at weekends because I was sick of having to try to replant the communal planters at 3AM after drunken idiots had randomly ripped plants out and thrown them on the road.

Its mostly because there is an evolutionary branch of homo-sapiens called homoidiotus that is physically incapable of respect and decency, and partly because there is no fear of consequence, because for the most part, there is no consequence to fear. If you caught the perpetrator red handed and gave them a slap, you'd get done for assault. If you report it to the police, they wont even come out to see you.

Such things will always happen. Its wrong, and its a shame, but its true. Thankfully though I think its quite rare. After my planter was nicked and smashed I was ready to give up on the front garden entirely, but walking round the neighbourhood I see that others have stuff in their front gardens. If mindless thefts and vandalisms were the norm, people wouldn't leave stuff out at all. The fact that they do shows it is rare enough for the benefit to outweigh the risk.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
        Ratings:
        +3,267

Absolute idiocy, people like this make my blood boil. No respect for anything, never mind themselves. I'm waiting for the day the stuff I have out in front disappears. Scum.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,595
        I'm waiting for the day when the vast majority of people, who are good people, unite and stand up to the PC brigade who say that you can't give some a clip for stepping out of line, and you can't expect jail prisoners to go without TV and X-Box, and say "you were wrong, we tried your way, it didn't work, so now the prospect of jail is going to a deterrent again, and if you mess with someone else's stuff, don't expect the law to protect you if they lose their rag at you".

• Agree Agree x 1
        • maria

maria Gardener

Ratings:
          +864
          love the design!

• Like Like x 1