Planting Ideas for a Raised Bed

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Garden Apprentice, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Garden Apprentice

Garden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I need a some planting advice. We are currently having a brick raised bed built next to a boundary fence. It will be around 2 feet high and 1.5 - 2 feet wide at its maximum. i plan to plant a couple of climbers into it to grow up the fence but i would like some ideas for lower planting around them. Being such a narrow bed i am having trouble coming up with suitable plants for such a space. Cant exactly plant it up like a traditional bed or border!

The bed is in a warm sunny position facing south west.

Any ideas? Thanks

2. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    I have planted my raised bed with dwarf spring bulbs ,winter cylamen and helbores winter pansy for now then shall change as the seasons change.

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Or you could underplant with Alpines, most of which are evergreen. David.

4. Garden Apprentice

Garden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replies. I was thinking of something a little taller than alpines, david and as i already have an alpine bed I dont think i want to plant any more.

I am really thinking of maybe a mixtue of permanent/evergreen and herbaceous. I have thought about maybe a couple of roses, some dwarf shrubs (possibly heathers?). I also have some hardy agapanthus in need of a home.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Two evergreens that spring to mind are Sarcoccoca, common name Christmas Box, and Daphne odora. Both are winter flowering and highly scented. Then you have the two failsafe evergreens, Japanese Azaleas and Hebes.