1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

planting 'oop North'

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Daisies, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I have this problem - I planted seeds and nothing came up. One year I had an absolute forest of purple sprouting broccolli. About six weeks ago I sowed a whole packet at the time recommended - I've got two seedlings!

Can anyone also in these northern climes, tell me if I should delay sowing and if so, by how much?

And will I be too late to sow some more broc now? (Like later today!!? :D - that's if I get to bed in time to get up at a reasonable time :confused: )

2. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Michaelsmas.....you can still sow Broccoli now...I have sown some just last week and all up.... they are for winter crop, like leeks I have sown too a bit earlier, nearly ready to plant out.
    --------
    Ladybird

3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Thanks, Ladybird!

Actually, I did sow some just a few days after that posting and signs of life are just emerging!

I also notice that the celery I sowed eight weeks ago is just starting to emerge as well. I almost pulled them up as weeds as I was sure the seeds had either failed or been prey to birds or something - talk about having to be patient! :rolleyes:

4. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Daisy how is your Celery getting on ? not been weeding again , have you ?
    Ladybird ;)

5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Hi LB!

I've got about 8 celery plants coming up and even a goodish row of parsnips!!

A mass of purple sprouting broccoli from the late sowing.

Unhappily, the peas were rubbish and the broad beans not very far behind but my runner beans are great!

As for weeding, chance would be a find thing! If I've had the time, it's been raining, if the sun's out, I'm at work! Ce la vie!

6. glenn

glenn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Daisy
    Can you tell me if there are any varieties of potato for planting now that will give a crop around christmas time?
    Ive heard that there are but i dont know whether to believe it or not lol
    Hope you can shed some light on it
    Much obliged
    Glenn

7. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
  8. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    PS Glenn, there a thread under General Discussion named "Christmas Potato" which is generating some interesting comment. I should take a look there if you haven't already!

[ 09. August 2005, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: michaelmasdaisy ]