Plants for shade - wildflowers?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by AndyS, Apr 15, 2016.

1. AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
    +50
    Hi,

I have just taken out several huge and sadly much neglected lavender plants from a shallow bed in my back garden and am now looking for something to go in their place. The problem is the bed is only a couple of feet wide and the 6' fence adjacent means it is in more or less full shade all day every day.
    I'd prefer to grow something tall-ish (to hide the fence!) and as I have loads of packets of wildflower mix was wondering about trying some of that to generate colour and attract pollinators- but am guessing they'll need some sunshine to thrive?
    Would it be worth a go do you think? If not can anyone recommend other options please (ideally low cost and slug resistant!)
    The bed is not very deep (about a spit) and has concrete under. All I have in there now the lavender has come out is comfrey (not sure where the roots for that have gone as I thought it was a deep-rooter?!) and some boring prickly shrub things that the previous occupants planted.

Thanks,

Andy

2. Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,978
    Hi Andy

Not sure about the wildflower mix surviving in deep shade, would depend what is in the mix really and I generally think they are for sunnier areas.

A few suggestions offhand:

Foxgloves (cheap to buy, quick, but a bit slug prone though)
    Astilbe
    Thalictrum

For shrubs (though choice restricted as only 2ft width as you say) for a more permanent screen:

Fatsia
    Daphne
    Some upright cotoneasters

There are more suggestions here:
    http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plants-for-shade

Good luck
    GG

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Tracy_x

Tracy_x Gardener

Ratings:
      +405
      I have this one, bees like it , flower since last month 20160408_082326.jpg

• NCFCcrazy

NCFCcrazy Super Gardener

Bored office monkey
      Ratings:
      +1,051
      Your biggest issue is not so much the shade, but the depth of the soil. Have you thought about building a raised bed to deal with the shallow soil? If this isnt an option, then I would be tempted, even though its gonna be alot of work, to get that concrete out. I dont think your going to be able to grow anything substantial in such shallow soil.

Look for the woodland wildflower mix, they will do fine in the shade.

This sites good for plants, or even just to get ideas.

http://www.plantsforshade.co.uk/

• AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
      +50
      Sorry for the slow reply, and thanks for all the suggestions

@Gay Gardener - I have some foxglove seeds and really like Fatsia so will give those a try. Thank you :)

@NCFCcrazy - I'm a big fan of ferns and had stupidly never thought of those. Do you think they would establish in the depth of soil I have, if I add in some extra compost and manure? I hear what you're saying about raised beds but I have lots of other priorities in the garden that come above this patch so realistically it would be several years before I could find the time.

That plants for shade link is great - I'm thinking of ordering some ferns and anemones from there if the soil depth/structure will be ok.

I don't have woodland wildflower mix but will keep an eye out for some.

Cheers :)

• NCFCcrazy

NCFCcrazy Super Gardener

Bored office monkey
      Ratings:
      +1,051
      Dryopteris should do ok, as the name suggests, they can cope with dry conditions. Anemones seem to grow anywhere

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1