1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Plug plants - is there anyone any good?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,478
    I am going to major on veg again this year as last year proved to be reasonably successful in that regard, but at the same time I would quite like the odd splash of colour here and there.

The usual T&M catalogue arrived the other day (addressed purely to householder, so it has clearly been that long since I last went near them that I am no longer on their lists) and taking a look at it, they are bloomin' cheap for some things.

I am thinking of things like petunias, trailing nepeta and maybe pelargoniums or maybe busy lizzies or some sort of trailing begonia at a push) - the thing is, I really don't want to be sinking a load of money into baskets and pots etc and my local GC (good as it is) are most definitely not shy about charging. When you see things like 72 plugs of petunias for twenty odd quid, it make you think.. I have a greenhouse, I could heat it if needed, and I am not exactly new at bringing stuff on.

Are T&M worth a punt under these terms, if you are willing to accept that you might lose 10-15% of the plants? Or is there anyone similar that is actually decent?

2. Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +44,498
    I wouldn't go for T&M I've used Mr Fothergills and J Parker. for plug plants, the plants are in perfect condition.
    If you join Mr Fothergills for emails you'll get discount on selected plants.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,478
      I have a feeling I am already joined up with Mr Fothergills - time to go email searching I think. Thanks @Logan

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +44,498
        Your welcome:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          Regarding plug plant. I used to get some from Jersey Plants. Problem was, the couriers. Lart yera I ordered from J.Parkers, have dealt with them since the 1960's. Problem during transit the boxes of plugs had obviously been chucked about, plants badly crushed. Advising Parkers and re-ordering. They said, no problems, a new batch are on their way gratis. I took a chance and grew both lots. In the end I hade almost 100% survival. That is why I still have so may polyanthus.

Today I had a catalogue from Woolmans. Their prices are reasonable.

• Like Like x 2
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,478
            Never heard of Woolmans - another one to look at, thank you @Mike Allen

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,997
              T&M Plug plants can be much smaller than expected as they give a range for the heights which includes not just the height of the plants, but also the depth of soil/roots, meaning if they send them out at the minimum overall combined height, the heights of plants above the plug tray can be tiny, and at best very small How We Grow and Send Your Plants | Thompson & Morgan

Taking these 72 Petunias for £21.99 as an example, Petunia 'Easy Wave Ultimate Mixed' plug plants | Thompson & Morgan they will arrive in a tiny pack that's designed to fit through a letterbox, has cells about the size of my little finger top joint, and plants 0.5 to 3.5 cm high that will need a lot of growing on in a warm greenhouse and there's previously been reports of tiny plants turning up too late to bring on for planting out.

Don't forget £4.99 p&p.

• Like Like x 2
                Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
              • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                Ratings:
                +44,498
                Never had problems with couriers always in good condition.