Poorly Viburnum Tinus?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by AndyBLeeds, May 21, 2024.

1. AndyBLeeds

AndyBLeeds Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon all,

I have a mature Viburnum Tinus that sits behind my son’s football goal…. Now I’d love to blame him for the sorry looking Viburnum rather than it being my neglect so thought I’d ask you clever people to help out. In previous years I’ve noticed (and smelled) Viburnum beetle but they’ve only munched a few leaves so I don’t think it’s this again. The second photo shows healthy new growth at the back of the shrub hence me thinking maybe it’s the repeated hammering of footballs against the front that has done the damage?

IMG_9839.jpeg

Do you think this will recover if I can persuade my son to stop being Ollie Watkins for a few months?

IMG_9840.jpeg

Cheers,

Andy

2. Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
    Ratings:
    +625
    I don’t suppose been regularly hammered helps but the front branches look very bare. Viburnum is tough so although I wouldn’t expect it to look it’s best am not sure I would expect such a large bare patch. It may be all these front branches have actually snapped and so all the front growth has died?

I would suggest cutting it back on this bare side and it will hopefull regenerate. Is there any room to move the goal forward slightly to reduce the likely impact. Assuming the goal has a net maybe that could be made slightly more taut as well?