1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

potting sheds

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Dorothy, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Dorothy

Dorothy Gardener

Ratings:
    +122
    Does anyone on here own one? We have a normal shed and are thinking of altering it to get more light get in. The plan is to cut into part of the roof and put in some perspex that we have hanging around.Also it has three small windows so are thinking of making into one larger window. What do you think?:ideaIPB:

2. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,385
    I do.. :)its my second home :heehee: in fact id live in there if it was insulated for winter :)

I recommend you go for it,if your not using the shed it being converted to a potting shed will be ideal,extra space for seed trays that dont need all the heat from a green house is a bonus:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Dorothy

Dorothy Gardener

Ratings:
      +122
      Hi we brought the shed to put my plants in over winter but I think it is too dark hence why I am thinking of converting it. It already has staging in there.The plan is, like you say, to put my seedlings in there because the temps in the conservatory can get pretty high once we get some decent sunshine. It would be facing south so should get a fair bit of light I think.:)

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Not currently, but I will have one day:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
      • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,817
        I. Want. One.

Dammit I've only just re-build the shed too. Now I'm going to have to extend it

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Now that is what I call a potting shed Ziggy , where is that ?

Dorothy
        I converted my shed into a potting shed by fitting Correx sheeting in the roof and on two sides , it works great :dbgrtmb: Sealing the roof panels is a bit tricky , I am going to reseal mine with Stormguard P strip from screwfix . Make sure you use the right silicone sealant , the slow cure type ( the one that does not smell of vinegar ).

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
      • Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,225
        I use the kitchen table.
        Put down a few sheets of newspaper first, and try make as little mess as possible.
        And then clean up before the Mrs gets annoyed...."busted"

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          I do that too :) but I also have a nice piece of Granite that I bought off eBay for 20 quid - nice bevelled edges, the whole works, it came from a joinery shop and had been destined for a kitchen dresser but the customer cancelled. Their loss, my gain :) That's in the corridor to the back door above where the dogs sleep. Nice and easy to clean, and I don't catch my nails on splinters, unlike a wooden bench :)

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          No way could I pot up in the house with Mrs H about , she would have my guts for garters :snork: !
          I do it on my workbench in the garage ,using one of these potting trays , which keeps everything tidy. I can mix and water my seed compost and potting on compost in it . Then a quick tidy , all the potting paraphernalia can be stored in it and back on the top shelf :blue thumb:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_i=B00354QL9C

• Dorothy

Dorothy Gardener

Ratings:
          +122
          I do it on the floor in the conservatory but get into trouble when the dogs come barging through and the compost ends up in the lounge. The other day I did do it in the lounge whilst hubby was working.If he had come back and caught me, I think a divorce would have been on the cards :oopss:

Harry, just looked up correx sheeting. I had loads of poly carbonate sheeting at the other house. I used to use it for my heated koi pond. Left it with the new owners and they filled the pond in! Really wish I had brought it with me to this house because it cost a fortune :wallbanging:

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
          Ratings:
          +28,514
          I use the garage, there was manky old bench at the end but a long left over piece of kitchen worktop made a nice smooth potting bench. It can be bl**dy freezing in there this time of year. :biggrin:

• honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,915
          i have...ehem..."permanently borrowed" my dads brick shed he has for his DIY n stuff :heehee: