1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Principles of seed sowing

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PeterS, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Angelina

Angelina Super Gardener

Free-lance translator and interpreter
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    Thanks for the prompt, Peter. :blue thumb:
    I still hope that some of the seeds in the clump will 'change their mind' and bloom purple.:biggrin:

2. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Peter, thanks for all the info. I specifically came online this afternoon hoping to find something like this. One more question I am going to try chillies and tomatoes on an inside kitchen windowsill this year. When should I sow those seeds?

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Done.

4. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Tiggs , Chillis need an early start because of the time it takes for them to fruit in our climate. I start mine at the end of January , most need a bit of warmth to germinate so I start mine in the airing cupboard , a windowsill may be a bit to cold .
    Lots of info in this thread below . For a more concise how-to try on of the many UK Chilli sites.
    http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/easy-to-grow-chilli-plants-in-england.39546/

• Like Like x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      :lunapic 130165696578242 5:I requested this in January Zigs ! You need more staff in that GC office . :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        And writing it SMALL won't get you off the hook Zigs :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
        • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
          "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
          Ratings:
          +4,445
          So re the perlite, is the perlite they sell at hydroponic stores the same, as I have 1 near me , doing a bit of browsing, and it looks like 20 pounds or so for 100 litres ,then I could email them, dont have an on-line store ,to see if they have any in stock and get it in ready before March 1st...

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,089
        • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,445
          The one I was on about was 22 or23 pounds for 100 litre thats ten times more for less than 3 times the money, and it would not go off,,
          And these hydroponic shops are everywhere ,its quite a saving if you can use it.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          I get my Perlite from JFC Monro and that is currently £13.90 for 100L. I doubt it will be cost effective to get them to deliver just a bag, but its probably a useful benchmark for price.

http://jfcmonro.co.uk/search.asp?types=yes&type=Growing+Media+>+Perlite

Yes, the same :) although it comes in various sizes - "fine" to "rough". I've tried both and don't think it makes much difference if mixing with compost to keep it more open. I've use the Fine where I want as much as 50% perlite in the mix (for cuttings) and use the Rough where I only add 10% as a potting on mix to keep it "open"

• Like Like x 1
          • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,445
            Thanks Kristen, it looks like it will be my most cost effective to get it from hydroponics place, I can pick it up when I go shopping as I practically pass it, never knew it was there ,as it appears to be a few units in the middle of a housing estate.

• landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
            Ratings:
            +915
            Here I have a bag of Perlite that has been a big help when called upon for planting.

DSCF6620.JPG

From here I can mix up with compost what I want and then add more if needed.

• Like Like x 1
            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              I keep a 2L plant pot in my Perlite bag. I figure that I tip 1/3rd of a 60-ish Litre bag into by potting bench "tray" each batch, and a 2L tub of Perlite is about the 10% that I reckon I normally need when potting on.

Best to water the Perlite, in the bag, before using it. The dust, otherwise, isn't good for you - particularly in an enclosed space

• Like Like x 2
              • The Gardening Banker

The Gardening Banker Gardener

Banker!
                Ratings:
                +47
                I have just bought myself a heated propagator in readiness for Spring and wondered whether there is anything I could start growing now or early January? I'm looking to grow some Kniphofia seeds and have seen elsewhere that these can be sown in January. Anybody got any experience of growing these or suggest anything else to grow in January - I'm probably being too keen and know I should hold off until March.

Greats site btw!

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +4,015
                Hi and a warm welcome G Banker.

Kniphofia seeds are fairly easy. They took 18 days to germinate for me when I tried them a couple of years ago.

I always sow a few seeds early. If you have a heated propagator you can get almost any seed to germinate at any time of the year. The problem is not the germination, its what you do with them afterwards that counts. Seeds often need heat to fool them into thinking that spring has arrived - so they germinate. Once germinated the seeds can't change their mind, so they are then commited to growing and will usually grow at lower temperatures. But what they need is light, and light levels are low in January and February. If they are reasonably warm inside the house but don't get enough light they get spindly and weak.

You can usually get away with growing them on on a sunny windowsill very early in the year. But if they are even 2 feet away from the window they won't get enough light. Also you will have to keep them there till perhaps April or later because it may still be too cold outside, depending on what they are and what the weather is like. So I would say go ahead and grow what you like, but only grow as much as you can keep inside till its warm enough to put them outside. I always only sow part of a packet of seed - so nothing is lost if, at worst, they all die. Go ahead and experiment.

• Like Like x 2