1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Probably stupid question about garden hose

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TurnedThespian, Jun 12, 2014.

1. TurnedThespian

TurnedThespian Gardener

Reformed Luvvie
    Ratings:
    +510
    *Someone* (but I can't for the life of me remember who), told me that in order to own a garden hose, you must notify the water board?! Is this complete nonsense? Or is there any truth in this rumour?
    Thank you, kindly. (Please don't laugh, I honestly can't remember the source of this conversation - maybe I dreamed it!)

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,622
    Nah, its nonsense.

You may have to declare use of a hose if you are disabled and its during a hose-pipe ban, but other than that, fill your boots! (or don't, as they will go all squelchy :snork:)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      My understanding is that some water boards require people on Water Rates to pay for a "license" to use a hose, or something like that. You get that money back again if there is a hosepipe ban.

But I'm on a meter so that doesn't effect me, I can use as much as I like 'coz I'm on a pay-as-you-go scheme :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • TurnedThespian

TurnedThespian Gardener

Reformed Luvvie
          Ratings:
          +510
          Ah, yes. I think I found the source of the confusion. We're with Severn Trent, who say that if you use a sprinkler, you must have a water meter (we don't currently have one). But I only want a hand-held hose, so I think we should be fine. (I don't want to use any more water than we are currently, I just want to save the trouble of filling the watering-can so many times!).
          I think I'll add a hose-pipe to my shopping list! :-)

• Like Like x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,512
            All water authorities charged a higher rate for the use of a hosepipe that is not 'hand held'. When water meters came in for domestic properties the need to declare the use of a sprinkler (or similar) was not necessary if you had a meter. If you told the authorities that you had a sprinkler then some of them just charged you a higher rate and others insisted on the installation of a meter.

@fat controller re use of hose during a drought order, if disabled:- most water authorities require you to apply for an 'exception to temporary use ban'. This requires just a simple form to be completed and returned with a medical report. It doesn't only apply to registered disabled people but also to people for whom the 'carrying of a watering can would be likely to cause injury or pose a safety risk to the applicant'.

So if you had a permanently damaged back, not sufficiently incapacitating to be disabled, and provided a valid medical report to them, you are likely to get the 'Exception'. That would still not allow you to use a hose for washing the car or the patio. It's only for plants in domestic gardens and allotments as defined in the "Water Use (Temporary Bans) Order 2010".

• Like Like x 2
            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              A drip irrigation system gets around all that ... and is a great fun Boys Toys gadget too :)

• Like Like x 1
              • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,631
                Thank you for the info @shiney

Thats really helpful for me as i have M.E. I cope fine at the mo but if i was to get worse again and couldn't carry watering cans anymore that knowledge will be really helpful. Thank you

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                Ratings:
                +21,340
                I have an external water meter for the garden as well as a water meter for the property as a whole and get a rebate on the sewage portion for the usage on the external meter. Cost about £150- £200 to install the external meter. Just about paid for itself, over the years, as the sewage rate per cubic meter is about twice that for the supply per cubic meter down here.

• shiney

Ratings:
                +118,512
                Nigel, that's a good idea :blue thumb: We don't pay sewage rates as we're not on mains sewage but it's a good idea for someone with a big garden.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                I had no idea that was possible, Nice One!

Me too :) We've replaced our old septic tank with a digester thingie, so the outfall water from that is now suitable for use on the garden, so I'll be interested when I see my water bill to see if I am no longer using any "extra" in the summer months :)

• shiney

Ratings:
                +118,512
                We originally looked at doing that but we have access problems and it was too difficult - and to do it would be horrendously expensive and would mean digging up too much garden.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                Yup, you are right on that point - there is way-less than zero incentive for doing it, financially speaking. We have building works going on, so dove-tails with that, and our cesspit has been there fore 50 years or more, and there are bricks missing from the sides, finger drains don't work well, and so on ... so I convinced myself it was only a matter of time until it needed sorting out anyway :)

Lets hope that using the old cesspit as an irrigation water storage tank, and that I don't additionally need a 100 cu.m. tank - which will further upset the economics by another order of magnitude!!

• shiney

Ratings:
                +118,512
                It was a lot easier in the old days. We just attached a hose to the old standing hand pump on the tank and pumped the excess liquids into the farmer's field (when he was muck spreading). :yikes:

Many years ago one of our neighbours, who owned an engineering company, fitted an electric pump and ran pipes underneath the driveway he was making. I think he ran the pipes to where the old ditch used to run along our side of the road. That ditch was piped and covered 60 years ago and I think it still takes the rain water from the drains on the road. I still, occasionally, hear the pump working :hate-shocked:.