1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with my chocolate vine & ceanothus

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Dickie, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Dickie

Dickie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello - I am a totally new gardener, have just planted out a new garden which has mostly worked apart from 2 problems, can anyone advise please?
    Firstly my chocolate vine: planted about 3 months ago on a south-facing wall, it initially did well but now the bottom 3rd of its leaves are going brown, and watering and bug-spraying don't help. I rip off the brown bits but they come back again.
    Also my Ceanothus (Tilden Park), next to the chocolate vine, has not died but refuses to grow, and I get lots of little dead brown twiggy bits on it. Again, I spray and water carefully.
    The spray I use if Westland Earth Matters Nature Works insect killer - maybe I need something a little less organic and a little more brutal?
    Thanks for any advice....

2. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    Ceanothus are very temperamental, IME. I have known them have significant shoot dieback but then recover the following year.

Insect killer will not help unless it actually is infested with insects - there might be another reason for the damage.

It sounds like they have not gone short of water so I would say give them more time, after all, they are still very new and will not have got their roots down properly yet. Also, they will have had a lot of sun, being on a S facing wall, which is harder for a young plant to cope with. If we have any more scorching weather then some sort of temporary shade might help, at least in the middle of the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,405
      Hi Dickie:) It could just be that the roots haven't yet escaped from their peat-based rootball. Keep up the careful watering through the summer and you should see a big improvement next Spring, when they're properly established. Did the ceanothus flower? I find that the old flower stalks stay on the shrub, so when they're young it looks a bit tatty.

• Dickie

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks - no I don't think the Ceanothus did flower. But I will pull off all the browny bits and give it another year. I thought they were a bit more vigorous, whereas mine hasn't done anything really. Anyway, mustn't grumble, I've had more successes than failures!

• Dickie

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks - advice noted. BTW I inherited a mature damson tree, which last year did nothing and this year has given literally 1000s of lovely sweet damsons. Sweet!

• Lea

Lea Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,067
      My Ceanothus has been almost the same this year. I gave it a good feed and a talking to and it has picked up. I think the late spring really knocked a few things out of their usual patterns this year.

• **Yvonne**

**Yvonne** Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,347
      "Firstly my chocolate vine: planted about 3 months ago on a south-facing wall, it initially did well but now the bottom 3rd of its leaves are going brown, and watering and bug-spraying don't help. I rip off the brown bits but they come back again"

I have 3 Chocolate Vines and they all have brown leaves (which haven't shrivelled and died) I assumed that was normal as all 3 did the same, and the colour is chocolatey ? I know this is an old thread, my vines kept all their foliage throughout the winter and they are now developing lots of new growth.