1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Prolonged British summers. Do they exist?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Allan Hodgson, Jul 17, 2013.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    My extremely limited recollection of the 1970s (given that I only lived through the last half of the decade) is that everyone was flat broke.

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,870
    Everyone was flat broke in the 50's but we were all the same,there was no such thing as envy,no buy now pay later,the only people with cars were GP's,no TV's,if you were sick you still went to work,you took your own teeth out or waited until they dropped out:phew:and on average you had morals,values and principals and standards :old::heehee:

• Like Like x 4
    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I was born in the 60's but from what Woo says and my parents....bring the 50's back any day:yes:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
        Ratings:
        +641
        In the 60's whilst still at school we had seasons I worked on the farm and remember the different jobs I did at different times of the year.The 70's the same but '76 I was on Salisbury Plain doing battle training,1 pint of water and route marching and running around like a demented thing for a week.

• mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,626
        I'm sure 95 the summer was a good one too. I finished school and can remember the whole 6 weeks was great :snork:
        Made some odd cash by washing cars and gardening/watering for folks in the village

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        :hate-shocked: You mean, he neglected to inform you of the '70's "3 day week"? Power cuts? Rubbish left to rot in the streets (and in *that* heat too! :eeew: )

You ask "what happened"? Well, once upon a time, it began with ... the Unions ... :whistle: ... :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,976
          I do remember '76, I was 21 that year, they changed our working to start at 6am and leave off a bit earlier, so as to avoid some of the heat, they said.
          Then when we all went home at 2pm they wanted to know why we wern't working overtime.:rolleyespink:
          It was hotter then, I can remember driving to work at 5 30am and sweating, the humidity was very high.
          It all ended suddenly, in September, but we had a good three months.

We had a few good ones in the early 90s I believe and again in the early noughties.

• Like Like x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,600
            I remember the summer of '76 well too. I was living in Essex at the time and temperatures were reaching 100F. I was also heavily pregnant and driving my mum backwards and forwards to visit my dad in hospital, a sixteen mile round trip twice a day for six weeks in the heat. The weather broke the week after I had my daughter in early September with thunderstorms and flooding. Not a year I will forget!

• Like Like x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,487
              I remember the '3 day week' very well but I don't remember it being in *that* heat! :scratch: It had a stronger effect because it was in the winter of '74 - started in January. We kept working without power and I remember the important thing from our point of view was the lack of light to work by.

Although factories had a 3 day week shops had a five day week with two hours of power in the morning and two in the afternoon. We kept working in the late afternoon and early evening because we made our own lights. Apart from having a few small fluorescent caravan lights running off car batteries we made hundreds of oil lights. We used 4oz jars, filled them 75% full of clear mineral oil, laid a metal clip across the top of the open jar and had a piece of string gripped by the clip and dangling in the jar. The string worked as a wick and we used them like candles. all we needed to do was top up the oil every so often. :blue thumb: don't know what 'Elf & Safety would say about that :snork:

'76 was a really hot summer for months. We had a bumper crop of blackberries from the garden and froze well over 200lb. We found the last of them in the bottom of the freezer last year :lunapic 130165696578242 5:.

There were plenty of hot summers and a number of quite long summers but nothing quite like 1959. The early part of the year was a lot warmer than usual (I seem to remember it hit 70F in Feb) and the summer started in April and went right through to October. I think it still holds the record for the driest summer. I ran a veggie stall in a market in the East End of London and I remember that when we weren't busy, during the excessive heat in the middle of the day, we sat underneath the stall (it was a large barrow) to try and keep cooler.

I seem to remember that 1955 was quite a dry summer with temperatures around 90F (low 30'sC) for a couple of months. That was my first year working on the stall and I nearly gave up because of the heat in July/August.

I think that the mid 90's were also long hot summers.

Don't get me started on reminiscing :nonofinger: otherwise I might have to write another book! :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
              • nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
                Ratings:
                +2,908
                I think he was too hippified to notice, or hitchhiking through Holland to notice...:)

• Funny Funny x 1
                • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                  Ratings:
                  +89,870
                  Good morning all, the unions had their place and did offer a certain amount of protection to the workforce, but they were allowed to much rope and to much power,but as you know absolute power corrupts,whether it be an M.P, A union Official ,A policeman,A Celebrity,Council Official, A forum Moderator (Admin):heehee: and the vast majority of people including yours truly,its in our Genes:smile:

PS.These are personal observation's made on my travels in all walks of life and many different locations,and are not for or against unions in any way,and if anyone is offended by this post,then you should get a thicker skin:lunapic 130165696578242 5: (only joking):lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 3
                  • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
                    Ratings:
                    +10,739
                    A vintage summer indeed, I was born in July of that year. :biggrin:

1976. Ah yes, I remember it well. I left school at the beginning of July and spent the summer doing various part time jobs while looking for full time work.
                    I particularly remember 'potato picking' on a local farm on a steaming hot day and feeling so hot I nearly keeled over face first into the dirt.
                    This was in the days when farmers still carried out stubble burning too, and I seem to recall several of these stubble fires getting out of control during that hot, dry summer.

• Like Like x 1
                    • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                      Ratings:
                      +89,870
                      1959 started my first job Hod carrying for 14 bricklayers;)

• Like Like x 1
                      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +16,246
                        For 14 bricklayers WOO ! I hope they were as slow at laying bricks as me :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
                        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +31,885
                          I stand corrected. Maybe my brain is confusing it with the stench of the eggs people were "frying" on their car bonnets "in *that* heat :redface: :heehee: