Pruning a pieris?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by joycey, May 3, 2005.

1. joycey

joycey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a large Pieris (Is this spelled correctly?)
    in a corner of my garden. It seems to be growing up the way rather rapidly and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it regarding pruning. It appears to be quite an old bush. Can anyone help?

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    You lucky thing, I can never grow them in my garden. Whilst it can be a fairly moderate shrub, I've not seen it get over large, nor very rapid growing in the gardens where they do grow. Are you sure it is a pieris.

3. joycey

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fran, Well its got green glossy leaves,which it keeps all year. It has little bunches of cream wisteria-like flowers which it is now losing and is showing clusters of red leaves. Does this sound like a pieris? It's quite spectacular. I've spied similar in other gardens but nowhere near as large. It must be around 5' tall and is thriving on neglect!!!!
    Joycey

4. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Joycey
    Hi I have just transplanted mine nearer to my pond
    and it has survived with no problem. I too do not know much about pruning so was looking for advice as i would like to keep it in controle.It now slightly overhangs my pond and hides the water filter with the water piped through the bush entering into the pond.
    Can anyone give any advice on how we should care for these.Mine lives in sandy soil and has slight shade early morning then full sun until it sets.
    Jacqui (slugbug_

5. joycey

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Jacqui

Absolutely gorgeous...the bees have been having a field day with the flowery bits!!! It's getting a bit woody though and I thought a "wee" prune might be beneficial. It gets the sun first thing in the morning and is shaded from about 11.30am. I'm too frightened to touch it in case I do more harm than good. Anyone out there help!!!!

Regards, Joyce

6. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Hi all.

Quote." Pierris. No regular pruning needed.

Pruning group 4.

Includes most evergreen shrubs.

Little or no pruning needed except for the removal of week or old wood in spring.

Where shrub becomes very large and unkempt,it can be cut back very hard-almost to the ground" unquote(blimey)" in spring,and will make new growth,but flowering types may take several years to flower again.

Paint wounds with a suitable sealant."

The wife gave me this book.

Hope it's not cheating!!!

Is it o.k. to refer to books?

Paladin

7. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    I have 2 both of which are quite small at the moment, but my Mum's is a bit bigger. She doesn't like big plants so as it was getting a bit large and she didn't want to get rid of it, I just cut off a few of the taller bits to trim it back into a nice shape. It doesn't seem to have done it any harm and flowered very well this year.

8. joycey

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for the welcome advice!!! I think I'll leave it to itself,as I said it seems to be thriving on neglect!!!! Paladin, so glad you "cheated" but am to much of a coward for all that. Thanks. Helen, if I can pluck up the courage I may try a wee bit of trimming, Thanks.
    Joycey

9. The Skiver

The Skiver Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have one in my front garden and it has never objected to the odd light trim.

Mine likes a good drink every now and then, although the roots are probably deeper than ideal as the landscaper who did my back garden dropped a load of surplus topsoil on the front without asking me.

10. joycey

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Skiver
    This is starting to sound better by the minute, I think i'll definately be giving the pierris a haircut at the weekend!!!! I've lived here for 4 years and the peirris was here prior to that so I've no actual idea how old it is. Like you I water and feed as well throughout the summer. Thanks.
    Regards
    Joycey