1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Question About Seeds Direct Sowing

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by DMM, Apr 4, 2021.

1. DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
    +259
    Hi everyone and Happy Easter to you all

I usually grow my annuals from seed indoors on a large windowsill [well in trays - not on the sill itself ;)] then pot on until they're ready for planting out a bit later in the year. The Thing is, this year I have absolutely no space left now for any more but still have seeds I would like to plant. On some of the packets it shows the planting time for both indoor and outdoor in the same months. For instance the instructions on a packet of Blue Salvia Horminum say 'Sow Indoors March - May in trays ... etc etc' but also says 'Sow Outdoors March - May in flowering position .....' This has confused me a little as its indicating the same time for both indoor and outdoor sowing. I'd have assumed [wrongly it seems?] that outdoor would be a little later on? As I've no room left indoors however I'm wondering whether I should give the direct sowing outdoors a try?
    :thinking:
    I'm a little wary though as it's only early April and I live in the North West of England. I would be planting most of them in pots outside too rather than the ground. Not sure whether that makes any difference? Some would go in a raised bed but mainly they'd be sown in terracotta pots.

If anyone has any advice/tips/info please? I've just never tried outdoor direct sowing before and guess I'm thinking it won't work - despite what the Mr Fothergills packet instructions say !! :)

Thanks
    Deborah

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,206
    Hi,

It depends on a few things, first what type of Annuals do you have Hardy or Tender?

Then is down to your location and how likely frosts are ?

Generally most Annuals can be sown outdoors once most frosts have past, though its alway more risky if you sow the Tender ones too early.

Also look at other suppliers info on those seeds, you can see from this link they suggest outdoors quiet late on, even though they class them as Hardy.
    Salvia Seeds - Salvia Horminum Blue Monday Flower Seeds

With the current weather forcast would think leaving sowing outside until at least the end of this month, unless you can give them with some protection ?

As always, sow just half the seeds first and save the other half incase the first ones do not survive.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
      +259
      Thanks Ricky for your reply. The seeds I have are all for hardy or half-hardy annuals but I agree, I think it's too probably early to plant them outdoors just yet given the current weather forecast. I read the info at the Sarah Raven link - thanks. I might even try my hardest to manoeuvre trays around to get some more windowsill space for some more indoor sowing!

• Like Like x 2
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,206
        I know you often want to get sowing, but if you can be patient and wait to sow outdoors you will probably get better and stronger plants as starting off indoors can lead to weak leggy plants.

Just got to go and get some more Dahlia seeds as the ones we sowed indoors a way too big and leggy, yet still need another 6-8 weeks before planting out !!

• Like Like x 2
        • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
          +259
          Thanks for the info. That's interesting to know - that they will probably be better and stronger if planted outdoors later on. I didn't know that. Mine grown indoors have always been fine though I have to say. I don't usually grow anything unusual or difficult however. African Marigolds I've started indoors have always been fabulous. I know they seem to be one of the easiest things to grow and they're common but I absolutely love the bright orange and yellow. Their brightness just seem to pop out of the containers they're in - especially just as the light is starting to fade.
          So .... perhaps they'd be even better if I just direct sowed them outside a little later on? Oooh heavens it's all a little confusing you know!!

Hope you manage to find some more Dahlia seeds that you like. I do love a Dahlia it has to be said.

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +86,048
            Half hardy annuals need to be started in doors, Hardy annuals are usually ok direct sown.

• Informative Informative x 3
            • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
              +259
              Ah really ? Thanks Pete. Good to know.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,206
                Like to grow the Dwarf Dahlias which are just 12 -18" high rather than the tall types that often need supporting, last from June/July to the first heavy Autumn frosts.
                The Bees love their open flowers and once planted out, so easy to look after, you should try some, available most places.

000534.jpg 000535.jpg 000536.jpg

• Like Like x 3
                • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
                  +259
                  Just perfect size for my yarden then Ricky! I have had the tubers in the past and they've grown into fantastic specimens but have just been too tall and bushy for my small space and yes they needed supporting. I did actually order dwarf ones [Farmer Gracy it was] but they weren't dwarf at all when they grew!
                  May well try what you've suggested. Are they easy to grow from seed?

• Like Like x 1
                  • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,206
                    Yes, almost too easy and fast .

Big seeds that you can put two in each section of those cell trays, if both come up just remove the weakest one and the other is left undisturbed to grow on.
                    The seedlings are quiet big and easy to handle if you prefer to sow lots in one pot and prick out later.

• Like Like x 2
                    • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
                      +259
                      Oooo they sound great.
                      I'm off to Gordon Riggs tomorrow [local garden centre] .......... I think I'll look out for some!
                      They usually have a good stock of seeds.

• Like Like x 1
                      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4,206
                        Yes, they are one of our two favourite garden centers, too.

Was in their Walsden branch a few days ago, can get carried away with all their thousands of young plants in the top sections, plenty for hanging baskets like Fuchsias, Petunias etc etc and all their Toms ,Chillies etc and their indoor almost tropical section bursting with choice.

Could come away with a lorry load !!! :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
                          +259
                          Totally agree Ricky .... think we're off to the Walsden one too. I bet it's packed though today. Best get a move on!

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +4,206
                          Bet they were packed, probably their busiest day of the year apart from the May bank holidays.

Did you come away with a basket full of goodies ?

We called in at a local small garden center about 3 pm, hoping it would have quietened down but to our surprise there was only about 4 cars there ?!
                          Still able to get some T&M Dwarf Dahlia seeds, so sowing tomorrow !

000539.jpg

• Like Like x 2
                          • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
                            +259
                            Nooooo .... came away with 2 houseplants only! .....
                            Never made it to the Walsden centre and the other was a bit disappointing yesterday to be honest:frown:. Wasn't too busy either after all. I was looking for a matureish evergreen shrub for a container and also some 'Star Jasmine' but wasn't able to source either of those.
                            I'll have to get ordering online I guess.
                            Only 2 types of Dahlia seeds were there too ... which is probably good in a way as I just do not have the room for them this year :spinning: !

At least you got some more seeds as you wanted :)

• Like Like x 1