1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Question please

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by goosegog5555, Feb 29, 2012.

1. goosegog5555

goosegog5555 Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +134
    Hello

I live in the South .. I depserately need a Patio . Can anyone give me some advice on what I should expect to pay for 10 mtrs by 10 mtrs. I would need everything doing. Many thanks

2. Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
    Ratings:
    +568
    That is a heck of a patio. Only suggestion I have is to shop around and ask for the address of a couple of jobs already done so you can inspect their workmanship and ask the householder how has it faired. Cheers, Tony.

3. goosegog5555

goosegog5555 Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +134
    Thanks , I probably have over estimated...Its a big back garden . Probably could get away with something half the size... Sadly , my brain only seems to work in feet and inches :o

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,185
    There are so many variables. It depends on what materials and how easy is access. Is the site sloped? Does it need lots of excavation or new drainage? It would be better just asking a couple of locals to come and give you a price.

• Like Like x 1
    • moonraker

moonraker Gardener

Ratings:
      +243
      some ideas

Hi,
      The very first thing you need to have is an idea of your own likes & dislikes ref this patio,

It's something for you and you alone to enjoy firstly, those times when you just want to chill out, an evenings glass of what you like after the days nearly over,

Maybe you like the sound of water " a water feature to your design"

Lighting, soft lights uplifting walls or trees, large potted up urns with leaves leaning over the edges,

A statue or two, could be of a woman holding a vase of flowers or a male holding his bunch of plums:heehee:

Even an old red telephone box feature "full of plants or maybe the phone box fitted for an outside shower, "What a feature" and one you'll not see tomany off. (these old red phone kiosk can still be found for sale "use google")

What im saying is "Dont just have an Patio" have a dream and make it come true that you'll enjoy first and others second.

After all the patio can only really be enjoyed during the nicer weather
      so go for it, but have a plan ready to show who ever you employ to make "YOUR" dream work and not the patio builders dream of how he/she wants it to work out.:scratch::scratch::scratch:

I find nothing more cold on a hot day than a patio that looks like the normal bbq, seating area, and flagged concrete flooring,
      (no wonder so many people sleep all day on such a patio, it's enough to cause the cells in ones brain to die):gaagh:

• Like Like x 1
      • goosegog5555

goosegog5555 Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +134
        Thanks for the replies ... Lovely ideas Moonraker but I have a very ' limited' budget.. As the years go by , I will indeed have Statue's and would love a special Patio... Until then , I will have to go for the BNQ cheapy option.. I was given 2 quotes today, they both were in the £0000 bracket !! Where are the good old days when someone would cheerfully do it for a few hundred :scratch:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,297
        Tis the Gubernment goosegogs
        Now when a builder/worker buys one thousand bricks, and one ton of sand/cement, they are looking for £4k of building work through his books.

He can no longer employ a couple of on the side workers, as they have to have CSI Cards, and he has to show he has paid THEIR TAX
        All invoices are linked through sales, to end product
        ie Jewson/etc have to show also where one thousand bricks went too, for their books

So you are down to some helpful friends and family as your options

Rome was not built in a day, is it possible for you to do a little at a time ?
        Using plentiful advice from forums

Regards and Welcome to GC

Jack McHammocklashing

• Like Like x 1
        • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,596
          Goosegog, is it not possible to just grab a few mates and make them work for beer? That's what I usually do, although I built my patio almost entirely by myself. Its not anywhere near as hard as I was expecting. I like my one, but it wont be to everyone's taste, but only because of the materials I used. I used broken paving slabs because I happened to already have loads of them, but I guess it would be just as easy to do it with nice stones.

My point is that you don't really need someone to come in and do it properly. It will cost several grand I reckon to get a chap in, but apart from materials, all you need is a tape measure, some string, a spirit level, and a few other basic tools, and some muscles (either your own or your mates').

• Like Like x 2
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,512
            Unless you're very lucky you won't find much in the way of paving at under £10 per sq m and you want 100 sq m. Secondhand slabs would be much cheaper - if you can find some. Then there is delivery and materials for whatever type of base you're going to have.

It won't be cheap.

If you take clueless's way of having crazy paving you can probably buy broken paving from a local authority. That's how I got my first patio done.

• Like Like x 1
            • goosegog5555

goosegog5555 Gardener

retired
              Ratings:
              +134
              Bless you all . I think the very best thing would be to see if anyone can help. When I lived n the town ( Guildford) I always knew someone who knew someone etc... Since moving to this Village , I seem to have cut myself off from the world .. Still thanks again for all the advice and I will ask around :WINK1:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
              Ratings:
              +7,297
              I think you will be quite supprised living in a village, just have a chat to someone, and they will know someone, or the local farmer or his workers, will come across something, and deliver it to you for beer
              By chat I mean do not go and ask for a patio, just general chit chat and it will be picked up that you want to input to the village and help should appear

Good luck in your venture

Jack McHammocklashing

• Like Like x 2
              • gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
                +1,663
                My patio is tiny by comparison (30' x 20').
                I did it in 2 stages - as I could afford it and used the cheapest concrete composite slabs (90p each at the time). Stage 2 was 5 years later.

I had a Grass "Patio" which converted to paving when I could afford it.

The patio has been complete now for 15+ years and, even though the slabs were cheap, none have cracked yet. - sods law dictates I've just tempted fate:mute:

As houses are sold people often get rid of installed patios to allow Conservatories, decking etc. to be fitted.
                Keep an eye out on Gumtree, Newspaper Sales ads or Supermarket noticeboards for people looking to get rid of paving slabs. You could save a lot of cash.