1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rabbits destroy everything I plant

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by clueless1, Apr 7, 2008.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Hi all.

Does anyone know how I can humanely control the rabbit population on my little plot of land. I bought it for my project to create a haven for our native flora and fauna that is in decline (with a preference towards the bees because I like them), but the resident rabbits have taken it upon themselves to ensure that nothing grows there without their say so.

I don't really want to harm them, so am reluctant to use poison or traps (I'm not even sure if that's legal), but I've heard conflicting reports of cost effective humane strategies to deter rabbits, but I've not seen any details.

I'm particularly worried because if they are destroying everything now, it's going to be terrible in a couple of months when their first batch of young venture out of the warrens for the first time.

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Air rifle or trap Im afraid.

The only other option is an electric fence around the boundary.

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Cann't mix gardening and rabbits i'm afraid borrow someone with a ferret and a gun then put some rabbit proof fencing up once the area is clear.

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,527
    The ferret man is probably your best bet but he might not do it at this time of year. Some of them don't like going after rabbits when they have young in their warrens. Rabbit proof fencing is good as long as you don't have too big a boundary. It can be hard work - unless you are like walnut and then it is just another challenge :D :D

5. geckoman

geckoman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    get a gun then you can eat the little pests uuuummm rabbit stew anyone :D

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Surely rabbits come under the term, Fauna?

7. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I once had a rabbit called Flora David. [​IMG]

8. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    David, you're right of course. Rabbits come under the term Fauna. The thing this my project is to try to increase biodiversity, and offer a safe haven for stuff that Britain is slowly losing, in the hope that I can in some way help to reverse the decline. The trouble with the rabbits is that not only are their numbers increasing so they don't need my help, they are destroying everything I plant which is supposed to provide food and shelter for creatures (like bees and butterflies) that are having a few problems, largely due to years of intensive farming techniques that lead to habit destruction.