Rain and wind destroyed my buddlea?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Nickoslesteros, May 23, 2024.

1. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +29
    This wind and rain has taken its toll on my garden. Especially a buddlea which I hard cut back last year. Yesterday I had loads of lovely new tender growth and, now, it's basically flattened.

Any chance it might recover, or have I lost another year growth and flowers.?

Attached Files:

2. The Buddleja Garden

The Buddleja Garden Gardener

Grower
    Ratings:
    +236
    You pruned too hard, too early and encouraged sappy growth before the decent weather. There needs to be more woody structure to support the new growth unless you are in a really sheltered position.
    The good news - of course it will recover and flower. Maybe a little later.
    As a general rule, don't prune Buddleja Davidii until mid-April. The new growth is not lignified so is delicate, more like a herbaceous perennial. It won't withstand harsh weather.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +2,463
      Mine have some shelter from the worst of the weather, as they're along the boundary which is in the path of the prevailing weather, but I don't prune until April. I keep a pretty hefty structure up to about 2 feet though, as described, as they're part of my shelter belt, semi hedging, on that boundary, and it gives extra privacy in summer as they're taller than they would be if I cut them back lower.
      We don't normally get a lot of soft growth through that earlier time of year though, as our season starts later, but this year has been exceptionally mild, so they've been growing a bit more than usual.
      I'm sure it'll all be fine but just a bit later as @The Buddleja Garden says. They're tough plants. :smile:

• Erigeron

Erigeron Gardener

Ratings:
      +95
      I had this too. I planted a buddleia last year, did pretty well. I hacked it right back to 2 or 3 inches (the advice said to be brutal to get the most flowers) end of March I think, it hasn't resprouted, but Ive tried pulling and there's still resistance so there must still be life.

At a guess it will just be delayed. Theyre tough plants.

• Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
      Ratings:
      +400
      Ouch @Erigeron that was brutal, it’s probably wondering if it’s safe to come out yet :)

• Angie Jones (nut)

Angie Jones (nut) Gardener

well retired
      Ratings:
      +106
      I think if you cut the flopped bits back to just above any leaf joint (just to a point where it can support itself) it will flower. A bit late flowering but still flowering

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
      Ratings:
      +1,795
      Mine get cut down somewhere between Christmas and Easter, depends on my available enthusiasm. Sometimes it gets totally mullered by wind and rain but always recovers to be attacked by slugs, snails, caterpillars and aphids, so yeah.....

• JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,303
      Hmm. I thought I was late pruning my buddleia - I did it in (I think) March and it already had substantial new growth that was pruned off along with the old. They're tough - if the new growth gets broken off more will grow. Flowering might be a bit later, but no later than if you hadn't prune until later.

• Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
      +29
      That's some superb advice. I'll know for next time in future. Whoops! Guess I will do as @Angie Jones (nut) said and cut back some of the floppy growth a little - which was going to be my next question! Superb advice and help! Thank you

• Like Like x 1